clean up that hissing!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by midnight, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Hey all,

I occasionally run my Yamaha BB1200S thru a Zoom 506 processor. I like some of the effects I can get, but am constantly annoyed with the signal. The main problem is a constant high-register hiss that is present even with filters at max. I am considering running it through another effect to clean up the signal. Is this worth it? Any recommendation on which pedal/rack will take care of this?

What I'll probably end up doing is just dumping the Zoom and getting a couple pedals to do the job I want. Just trying to stretch the dollar for now.
  2. jimstick

Dec 8, 2000
    I hear great things about the BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor. I haven't used one because I don't get all that much noise,but I may get one in the future.
  3. I use a dbx 563X. It is rack mountable and does a good job. You can pick them up for less than $100. I run it in the loop of my Hartke 3500 (after the pedals, which go thru the regular inst. input).

And it's got lots of little flashing lights to give the drummer something to watch.
  4. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    A good trick that can help with noisy sources which was widely used by engineers in the days of hissy analog tape is called "Pre-emphasis."Basically,it involves maxing out the highs on your noisy source(in this case it would mean going into your Zoom's patches and cranking the treble),and when the signal gets to the amp,you turn down the amp's treble,which attenuates the hiss and brings the highs back below the threshold of pain.In fact,this is the basic idea behind Dolby Noise Reduction found on cassette decks.