Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clean your bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheInsane, Feb 6, 2003.

1. With risk of sounding stupid I have never really cleaned my basses (one exception). Now my new bass really needs a clean up. So how do I clean it the best way. What should I use? I now you can get these special Guitar/bass cleaning products but do you really need them? From what I know they are kind of expensive. Well, any advice is welcome.

2. *keeping it alive*

Is there really none of the 17 (thus far) people who have read this thread who knows a good way to clean a bass?

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Ok, fine - let's try in Setup...

4. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Use car products!

I personally use 3M cleaner wax for minor swirls and scratches and Zaino show car polish for the final touch.

Check it out:

5. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    WOW! That's one shiny Fender.

6. LoJoe has a good suggestion. Most of the stuff for cars will work well for this. I would just caution that if you are using something in a spray, to put it on a soft rag first rather than spraying the instrument itself. You never know where the overspray could find itself seeping into.

7. Will the car products be ok for a natural finish?
    I think my Gibson is a varnished maple.. Not to sure on how they do natural finishes.. :)

That is really shiney :D

8. Thanks...

LoJoe:

Saw the picture and I had no idea why you had put up a pick of yourself (?) until I realized it was the mirror image from the bass :D LOL

9. LOL, yup! same with me! I thought it was a mirrored top at first!

10. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Nope, no mirrored top. That is my BLACK Fender P. In all fairness though, if you'll notice, the sun is shining through the window on shoulder. The sunlight helped to add to the effect. Still, I get comments all the time in person on how shiney my bass is. Zaino is the ticket.

11. I get white/gray suff on the neck of my bass. Probably because my hand get very sweaty while playing. Is it ok to use a soft rag with just some water for that kind of stuff or is that a no-no?

12. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    A good cleaner that won't harm the wood or almost any finish is naphtha, or lighter fluid. It will dissolve most gunk that accumulates in the hard to reach areas. Just be careful, it is lighter fluid and as such highly flammable. No smoking while cleaning your bass. ;)
    You might also want to follow with some polish to shine it up a little and help fight off the next wave of goo.
    0000 Steel wool is good for cleaning the fingerboard as long as it isn't finished maple. Then stick to the naphtha for that too. Be sure to cover your pickups with a paper towel or something before you use the steel wool. That stuff can make a mess of pickups and it's almost impossible to get off.
    Good Luck.

13. Ive mentioned this in a few other cleaning threads.

Mr Sheen. Yup Mr Sheen furniture polish does the trick for my basses, keeps them clean and shiny, no residue either. Just use a ordinary rag, old t-shirt and whalla sparkling. lol

Its cheap too. like $2 a can or something.

:D:D

Merls

14. And all this works on the neck as well as the body of the bass?

15. Mr Sheen works for me yes. I use it on the neck, fingerboard, body, head stock.

:D:D

Merls

16. eVersi0n

eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    I just buy a bottle of Dunlop's Guitar polish or whatever, its like 8 bux for the little bottle, but the little bottle is still 1/4 full and i'v had it a year, just 1-2 sprays and works good.

17. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I just use a polishing cloth (I think it's for brass or silver). After I'm done playing, I just wipe her down. Get's all the sweat and grime off before it has any time to do anything. The only actual "cleaning" I have to do is spray the dust off the bridge with some compressed air. Clean enough to see myself too! Although now I have the urge to go buy some Zaino :D

18. I use 409. It doesn't make things shiny. It only makes them streaky. So I don't know why I use it. :confused:

19. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    I'll be dipped! I have a bunch of that stuff laying around and since I sold my Z06 I had no idea what I was gonna do with it. Now I do! I figure I have enough to keep all my basses shiny for the rest of my life.

Got anything I can use my left over 303 protectant on? :p

20. haha...holy crap LoJoe,I thought that was a mirror you took the pic from...and I was like "uhh...ok...its a pic of him,wheres the bass?"

damn dude...thats crazy!

-Jon:oops: