Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleanest, best-tone signal path?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheGeneral, Aug 19, 2003.

1. I have acquired a few toys that I'm going to put together in a pedal board. How would you hook up these items for the cleanest, unadultered sound?

The toys, in random order:
    1. Sadowsky floor model preamp/DI
    2. EBS octabass
    3. Ernie Ball volume pedal
    4. pedal doctor custom 3-input/1 output variable gain stage (upto +10dB for maintaining a constant signal level between different basses)
    All of the units requiring power will be powered with a DC Brick.

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada

For really clean bypass add a loooper or equivilent with 2 in the loop (as well as any other effects you get).

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    4,2,3,1. I would put the volume after the EBS, so that the octave will trigger well regardless of where your volume pedal is set.

4. Thanks for the replies. One other question: the EBS octabass will not be used about 95% of the time--when it's off does it affect the signal at all? I would hate to have something in the signal path that isn't getting used and that degrades the sound.

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    It will, but VERY slightly. That's why I suggested the true bypass loop. If you really find it sucks tone too much, get one of these.