1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cleanest/Lightest/Tightest 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Visirale, May 2, 2006.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'm revamping my rig, and I think the last thing I need to perfect it is a speaker that will excel at getting the fundamental tones out. I would never ever want this hypothetical speaker to be "farty". Would a 118 be better? I mean, I want this thing to basically be a subwoofer. Preferably no tweeters, and lots of porting.

What would you reccomend along these lines?

The head is a Bass 400.

Oh, my other cab is a Mesa Diesel 410... If I ever want to make it to 20 without major back problems, please let this cab weigh less than that.

2. check out the mesa powerhouse 1x15. i have one and i mean it may not be the smallest 1x15, but it smaller then alot of them. It weighs something like 70lbs or something. it does bring alot of bass to my set up while the 2x10 on top keeps it nice and bright. and the mesa 1x15 would match the 4x10 and the 400 pretty nice.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, the custom 1x15 that Marc Serio (Dr. Bass) built for me would certainly apply. That thing was crazy light, and sounded great!

Another fantastic 1x15 is the Bergantino HT115. It is not super lightweight, but I would call it light for its size. And it is certainly very clean, tight, articulate and full sounding.

Tom.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Bagend S15 is pretty quick & punch.... fairly light too.

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hart's right, the Bag End is extremely quick and punchy - not very bassy though, due to the cab design. The best 15 i've heard lately is the Accugroove new Tri115, really nice - thick, articulate, a little less bassy than i'd expect, but handles the low end really well once you add it back in.

ps. yeah i forgot, the AG is way lighter than I expected... i can easily haul it around (not mine, it's a loaner) with one hand

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree with Tom on the Bergantino HT115.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm GASing for one of those myself.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Other than the ones mentioned, Epifani and Genz Benz rank in the best 15s I have heard.

9. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Does anyone know if the HT115 has more low end than the NV215 because of the porting?

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i hate 15" speaker loaded cabs.

BUT, an epifani UL115 easily changed my mind. punchy, authoritative, and fat fat fat. doesnt hurt that it weighs next to nothing.

11. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I've been using a BagEnd S15D which is about 44 lbs and the smallest cab I could find with a 15" speaker. I have alot more expensive cabs like EA and Epifani but this thing has a lot of kick to it and has been able to take whatever power I put into it. It fits in the trunk easily and can be carried with no problems for some distance.

12. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies.

Another question... What about crossovers? I'm kind of clueless on those. Is one required to get the lows going out of the "sub" speaker, and the mids and highs going out of the other speaker?

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Not IME. The NV215 goes deeper than pretty much any other non-powered cab I have used. The lows on the NV215 are nothing short of amazing, IMHO, as they are not only deep, but full, and not only deep and full, but fast! Just amazing. Of course, your amp needs to be up to the task, but if it is, watch out!

That said, it's not like the HT115 doesn't go plenty deep. It does, and it's quite punchy and quick down low, too, but it does not have the deep, expansive lows of the NV215.

Tom.

Tom.

14. Another vote for the Bag End S15d. Big sound in a small box.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    yup,

a crossover is necessary if you wanna split the frequencies in the manner you speak of.

BUT, these days w/ modern day speaker design a single 1x15 or 2x15 should be able to do everything you need.

16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    As far as 15s, I like the Bag End S15, Epifani UL115, and Accugroove Tri115.

For portability and punchiness, the Bag End S-15 is sweet. It's a 15 that's fast and punchy like a 10, but fills up a room like an old school 15. It's one of my favorite cabs for getting a vintage tone, but it's not a deep sounding cab. There's a bunch of 12" loaded cabs that go deeper and cleaner. But, it's relatively light, and definitely one of the smallest 15s you'll find. It's also one of the sweetest sounding cabs. But if you want deep low end with subwoofer characteristics, this isn't the cab for you. But, it's the cheapest.

The Epifani UL115 has a nice round bottom thump, and it's amazingly light. I brace myself for a heavy lift, and next thing you know it feels like carrying an empty cabinet. It's that light. It has some decent articulation for a 15, and it has nice depth and thump to it. The musical tweeter is nice and clean. The lightest of the three.

The Accugroove Tri115 is a pretty versatile 15 that has a big, deep sound. This is probably the tone you're looking for if you're saying you want mostly deep low end. The tone is massive and clean, with plenty of thump. The 6" speaker gives it some punch and articualtion that makes it work well as a stand alone cab. It's also the heaviest and most expensive of the three.

17. Nitkin

Nitkin

Aug 10, 2002
    Barcelona,Spain
    Another vote for Bag End

18. It's still up for sale, too. Look in the classifieds. It only weighs 30 lbs!

19. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Glockenklang UNO Light. Mmmmmm:bassist:

20. sparrow

sparrow

May 26, 2005
    Belgium