Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleanin brass parts

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jure the second, Feb 22, 2003.

1. I havent found the answer to this question:

Is there any fine method to get rid of spots on a brass hardware? I play Alembic and the parts, that were once so shiny are now filled with spots. I am not sure if this affects the tone, but it definetly doesn't look nice. Alembic offers their cleaning products, but it's difficult to get it overseas, so any alternative will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jure

2. I've got a good method for parts cleaning but it is going to depend on your brass components NOT having some sort of clear coat over them. I don't know Alembics well enough to say - that's your call.

One of the best cleaners and polishers for brass is found in your kitchen. It's a lemon juice/salt/water mixture that will take tarnish off easily. Begin by mixing up a slurry of a tablespoon of salt in 3 tablespoons of water. Once the water has dissolved all of the salt that it can, add 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. You will also have to take the parts off of the bass to clean them thoroughly. With a rag dipped in the slurry mix, rub the brass surface briskly. The remaining salt crystals will act as a harmless abrasive while the lemon juice will dissolve the tarnish. As you rub, a fine satin finish will emerge and that's what you want. Rinse the cleaned part in water and dry immediately and then re-install.

Hope this helps.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    brasso man! just take the hardware off before you clean it...there's this other stuff too, but i can't remember the name of it to save my neck...it comes in a tin with a removal lid...and its like rolled up cotton type material that you can pull off in pieces. we used it on my last submarine to clean all of our brass fittings. works great for copper and silver, too. what is that stuff called? it's awesome. again, this stuff is for bare brass. some hardware has a lacquer of the brass which should only require you wiping it off. it may be the lacquer that is pitting.

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    The cotton product is called "Nevr Dull" (yes, that's the correct spelling) It works great, and it's my favorite for polishing up my tuba.
    If some of the protective lacquer has come off, assuming there was lacquer to begin with,don't use the kind of clear laquer that you get at the hardwere store. Brass instrument makers like tubas and trombones and trumpets use a special kind of lacquer that works much better. If you want more information ont he exact name of it and where to find it, let me know.

Mark