1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaning 9-lug output jack / cable pop issues

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Feb 6, 2016.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Washington
    IMG_9584.JPG IMG_9585.JPG IMG_9586.JPG I have an 80s Kawai bass and lately the cable has been popping loud when touched or wiggled in the jack.
    I know this is probably the most common problem, but I opened her up to look at the jack and found this 9-lug little box. I've never seen these, used to just seeing open contacts, but I guess it's just like this one:

9-lug Stereo Jack | stewmac.com

Also are some pics I took.
    The solder looks good. There is a little wiggle in the cable when the inserted, and I feel like it's coming out of contact when that happens, but I don't know much about this stuff. It pops when the cable is wiggled. I've tried different cables. I don't think I can take this little jack box apart to bend the contacts, and the I can't reach anything in there to do that. Do I need to just pull really hard? No screws to hold it in place and I can't find any latches I need to bend to pull it apart. Should I just get a new one? It seems this is the same one, but I'm not sure.
    Thanks!

2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Don't try to adjust the contacts or try to take that type of jack apart. It's too complicated and needs to be replaced. Always loop the cord through your strap to help prevent the weight of the cord from wiggling the plug around and bending the contacts.

Clark Dark likes this.
  3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It is highly likely that the jack in your bass is the same as the one in the StewMac link. At $5, it's worth replacing the one on your bass.

4. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Washington
    I just bought the new jack. Forget the hassle for $5.
    Thanks!

mech likes this.