1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaning a 1958 Maple Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dagrev, Jan 7, 2017.

1. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Hello,

I've searched around and can't find where someone actually addresses cleaning a old maple neck/fretboard. A general search nets a pretty wide range of options and none seem more than opinions from players more than those who may have more knowledge (i.e. "use pledge").

So I'm wondering what some of you guys suggest for a neck I do not want to damage in any way with some kind of wrong product that was suggested by a 14 year old (but you can't tell that online). It's an original '58 Pbass neck and it seems to need some cleaning. The fretboard is a little grippy--at least more than I prefer and there is some grime next to the frets.

Thanks for your more experienced opinions!

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    For maple I use these they are safe for a maple board,

Ebww.

3. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Thanks. I thought about using them (I have a canister of them), but it didn't really say anything about maple and old nitro finishes. But a guy that works at EB said they use them on literally everything and they won't hurt finishes or strings. But...they likely don't have any '58 MMs around either!

I'm just scared of trying something and a year from now the finish does something weird. But I may try a spot and see how it does. They are great that's for sure. Thanks again.