1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cleaning a bass after waxing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve_man, Mar 10, 2003.

1. steve_man

steve_man Supporting Member

May 15, 2002
    I went and put wax on my bass. Now I'm wondering what to do in case the bass gets full of of gunk. especially around the pickups where I rest my fingers.

I would use luke warm water the only thing is that when I use warm water it leaves grimey spots.

I was thinking distilled water would help

any other suggestions would be a help
    I have a black finish and you can tell when this thing needs cleaning.

2. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Rather than go through all that work, I usually, just lay my bass on the back seat of my 1964 Ford Falcon convertible, put the top down, and take it right on the through the "Mr Jiffy" Car Wash. I'd hang on to the neck when the "blower" comes on at the end though, as you don't want your bass flying out and smacking the guy behind you.

Mr. Jiffy has a heck of a blower/dryer and it'll clean out all of those Burger and String wrappers, moldy french fries and dried up Dunkin' Donuts that so often get lodged under the seats too. The first time I tried this great technique, so much junk flew out of my car that I thought I was Dorothy in that scene from the Wizard of Oz where her house gets caught up in a tornado. I actually kept calling for Toto!!

Pay Mr. Jiffy the extra 35 cents for the added "wax job" and you'll never have to clean your bass again...........plus, your hair and shoes will stay nice and shiney for weeks!!! :D

OK...should you choose NOT to go that route, pick up a can of guitar/bass polish--any reputable brand will do. Now get an "official polishing cloth" to go with it. Voila! You're done......all for under $3. You may need a Q-Tip for those hard to reach places, but that's it.

Rules to remember:

A BASS that you PLAY and LOVE doesn't like water; ANY kind of water.

A BASS that you CATCH while sitting in a lake--and then EAT,---largemouth, small mouth, etc., LIKES water.......but isn't fond of sitting still while you wax it.

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB :bassist:

3. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    modulus tells there guitar owners not to use guitar polish and I just switched. The Polish didn't seem to be cutting it. From what I understand using guitar polish over car wax isn't needed.

modulus says to use soapy water???

I didn't go that far. I just wiped her down quickly with a damp cloth.

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Now that's some funny $#!+

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IME regular guitar polish or furniture polish works just as well on waxed as unwaxed basses.

6. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Do you have a natural wood top on your Modulus? I LOVE their stuff by the way. :D

My MTD's get treated with Butchers wax........When you said you had a "black" bass, I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that it was a painted finish. :^>)

You might want to drop the folks at Modulus a quick Email and see what they have to say about cleaning............although I'm quite certain that I saw Phil Lesh in the same car wash that I was using. :D

PS: Do you enjoying fishing?

Peace,
    RB

7. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I don't have a modulus but it's is a polyurethane.
    Solid black fender. no transparent finishes.

I heard of a few people around TB as well as my home town do there guitars up with car wax.

So ...

I gave it a shot and she came out pretty nice.

The polish I was using didn't seem to be doing a job that I liked. The polish did a great job when I first used it but then after a while... ehhh.

What do you mean by finishing?

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I use "Mother's California Gold Carnauba Wax". It is pure carnauba wax with nothing added. It woks great, however, it does not remove some spots that are easily removed with a damp cloth or Martin Guitar polish. Mother's is great protection for the metal parts also.

Chuck

9. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I just used mcguires gold

what would that be like on metal parts?

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The luthier for my custom reco'd carnuba for my cocobolo top.......but, it ain't gonna happen. The stuff has NO cleaning properties, tends to look dull, and is a bitch to work with. I asked the folks about it at the MIMF (Musical Instrument Makers Forum), and they dislike pure carnuba as well.

Here's 2 good links to check out for info -

1. Look down at the page under "Accessories" at http://www.kingmusic1.com/mir/mirgutr.htm You'll see links to info about wax and polishes

2. Check out the info at Virtuoso http://www.virtuosopolish.com/products2.htm They've made a real study of waxes & polishes.

One good compromise seems to be Dunlop 65 Cream of Carnuba http://www.99dollarguitars.com/cgi-bin/99dollarguitars/6574.html

Another that seems to get good results on musical instruments is a Meguiar's No 6 product - http://www.properautocare.com/megno6cleanw.html

I have some GHS Gloss I'm using up on my bass with a poly finish as well as one of the "once-a-year" car polishes. They are both the kind that dries to a white haze and then you polish off the haze.

11. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    Well, let's see the General Maintenance section of My Modulus Flea Bass owners manual says "We do not recommend spray guitar polish. In most instances, wiping the finish with a soft cloth after each use will keep the finish looking new. If the body or back of the neck becomes extremely dirty, apply lukewarm soapy water with a soft cloth to the area wipe clean with water only, then dry immediately". I have cared for my 2 Flea Basses this way for 2 years now and they still look stunning.

12. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    There ya go now!!! :D If the company tells you to use warm water on their bass....I'd be the first one to go along with it. Manufacturers tend to know what's best for their products and they're ALSO the ones who have to stand behind them should something happen as a result.

I've found that using "NAIR" on the back of my neck gives me just the feel that I like.
    :cool:

Peace,
    RB

13. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I don't have a modulus. I also tried the water thing and it didn't work. It left blotchy smears. And that was without soap.

rickbass: great info! I was using a dunlop 65 guitar polish and it seemed to be building up or something that didn't look good! So I moved to wax. Haven't played my bass yet since I waxed it and it looks very good - it got rid of what ever was happening on my bass.

Get this the dunlop 65 isn't supposed to build up. Maybe it was the cloth I was using? I have new flannel cloths and they seem to be nice on the finish. I may try and use the dunlop 65 on top of the wax providing it was the cloth that was creating the mess. other than that I think I'm going to try a cleaner.

rickbass, when the bass does get dirty with build up of wax, finger butter, etc. would you reccomend me to use a cleaner?

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

steve - Not knowing what was already on your bass, I don't pretend to know what was going on with the Dunlop 65.
    But there always seems to be the same "culprit" when your finish comes out looking more like something you'd rather chew than look at --- carnuba

Based on info. I got at the MIMF, I'm going to use naptha to get my carnuba off and have someone local who really knows how to handle top-grade cocobolo put a nice gloss on it.

I think the Virtouso cleaner on the link I previously provided has a lot going for it, too, especially with the UV protectant (that's a major concern for we cocobolo owners).

One thing that never seems to have any downside is pure lemon oil, (see the caveats regarding the nasty stuff that is often added to "lemon oil" in those links, too). Once I get this carnuba gunk off with the naptha, I'll use pure lemon oil until I have someone put a nice nitro or some other finish on it.

RichBriere's point about manufacturers knowing what keeps their instruments looking great has a lot of value.........not for my custom (that's a special case) but for mass-produced basses, or basses with common wood treatments, like poly finishes, his comment is dead-on.