cleaning a bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Acacia, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ok, so i never cleaned any of my Fenders, but I got my 1980 Ric delivered today and I think it hasn't been used since about 1990. It's pretty filthy. Any suggestions on what to use to clean it up?

2. I use Martin guitar polish and or Fender polish. Works great and won't hurt the wood either!

Cost-about $5.00 a bottle.

3. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    If it's really bad, try some naptha ( preferably outdoors and no smoking while you're using it ! ) followed by a good polish.
  4. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    My old Fender P. 3M Cleaner Wax w/Scratch Remover followed by Zaino Show Car Polish.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you can't get the Martin Guitar Polish. I have been pretty satisfied with Dunlop 65.

6. I just love it when i can combine the two of my favorite activites of playing/caring for basses and detailing cars.

I use Meguiars polish tho ;) :D
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'd be careful with that naphta, or any similar solvents. Rick's use a somewhat unusual finish, that doesn't take well to certain solvents. If I were you, I'd stick with the water-based solvents, if the bass is really so dirty that it needs "wholesale" cleaning. Otherwise, the polishes are a decent idea, but really I'd start with hot water and a damp cloth, just "plain" (no detergent or anything).

When you're all done and your bass is clean, I'd suggest a thin layer of Jasco Lemon Oil (don't use any other brand, the Jasco is perfectly safe but many of the other brands contain the undesirable solvents). Ron at Alembic recommended that product to me many years ago, and I've been using it on all my basses for at least twenty years. You don't need much, just a little will do. It has several benefits, one being that it'll make the bass easier to clean in the future. And, it smells good too. :)
  8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

I can only say EEK!