1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaning a black bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Sep 28, 2010.

1. What is the best method and product(s) for cleaning a bass. Black finishes seem to show the most in terms or microscratches and fingerprints, etc. Also, are there products that you should specifically stay away from?

2. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Try acetone or xylene.

J/K - NO SERIOUSLY DON'T DO THAT.

3. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Black basses -- the gifts that keep on giving.

Martin Polish and a soft cloth. Repeat.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've heard really good things about Zymol.

Personally, I've never used anything but sweat, and the occasional dribble of saliva and or beer to wipe a bass down with. Word on the street is I'm kind of a pig......

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Its a losing battle but...

Stew-Mac offers a variety pack of "micro mesh" abrasive pads. The finest can actually be used to polish optical lenses. Just use a mild soapy water as lubricant / medium and gently rub-out the superficial stuff. Forget what grit you're supposed to start with...you may want to contact Stew-Mac for guidance. I'm sure somebody else here on the forum can offer some addt'l insight.

Riis

6. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    I have used car wax with great results get a soft rag,you dont want a harsh wax that will discolor, I used Nu Car wax it is gentle, lightly apply in swirling motion it will also remove light scratches.You will need a few Q-tips but this will shine like a new penny

7. Spraeg

Spraeg

May 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I dunno about scratches, but for fingerprints & general cleaning, I've had good results from Dunlop's guitar polish and some Brasso for the metal parts

8. Bevo1995

Bevo1995

Nov 8, 2009
    Heart o' Texas
    I'd clean a black bass the same way I clean a largemouth bass, a striped bass, a sea bass, etc.

9. I gave up trying to polish my black basses.

10. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    The "cleaning" method I use is, I don't let it get dirty. I wipe it down with a super soft flannel cloth after each use. This will remove fingerprints, prespiration, dust etc. If you need to "Polish" the black paint, use a fine quality automotive polish, not a scratch remover, that is too harsh. The cloth is very important, it must be soft and clean. You should not have to apply any wax, only the fine polish. Chrome and fretboards take a different approach.

11. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Inactive

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    I have a Spector NS4CR with a translucent black finish. I use Dr. Duck's AxWax - the cloth comes with it, and it's good for the body, fretboard, hardware, and strings. I love the stuff!

12. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Also, I'm with Rocky, I wipe down my bass after every use. Extends string life, keeps the neck from getting dingy and gross and removes fingerprints from the body.

If I need to make it all shiny and new looking, I use Windex on the body and painted areas.

13. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Most of the time, a clean, soft cloth will wipe off most finger prints and the like. A good guitar polish is also a good idea from time to time.

Scratches and dings are character and sort of belong there after a while.

:bassist:

14. Meguire's Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax.

MegsDC3.jpg

Step # 3 is the wax-only version and has no cleaners or abrasives.

Do NOT go in circles - if you have a small spec of dirt in the cloth, you'll just create all sorts of swirl marks that are impossible to hide.

Try to go only in straight line - it's kinda hard on a body - but work at it so the possible scratches will not be as obvious. This is true of cars and guitars.

15. I think it depends on the finish. What type (polyurethane, polyester, lacquer), and how well it is applied.

Tom Anderson recommended Meguiar's Quick Detailer for their guitars and it works great. The do a UV cured poly(urethane??).

16. I'm supposed to clean it?

17. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    My favorite for cleaning my black bass (92 MIM Jazz) is a soft washcloth (the 10-12 for about $3 at wallyworld) and occasionally some dunlops 65

18. Use a micro-fiber fleece rag like the ones they sale for washing your car at the local auto parts store. Windex off any goo and finger prints. Then use plastic wax to finish.

19. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Car wax is great for most all poly finishes. Is also good for matte finishes if you want a little bit of sheen.

20. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    Dry micro fiber and wipe down every time I play..I never thought of waxing it..I cant imagine really gigging my black L-2000 and it not accumulating scratches and scuffs...as was said before...it adds to the charm..

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021