1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaning a bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jan 2, 2007.

1. I do not like to admit it, but I have not be able to keep up on the upkeep with my bass's hardware. My bridge is DIRRRRTTTTYYYY. Most notably, there is a lot of grit and rust on the saddles screws. Could a 10 minute dip in a tub of metal cleaner do the trick for those hard to reach places, and make my screws looker a lot nicer than they do now? (I'm not really asking for miracles).

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    To really clean it will mean disassembling it first. Once its broken down, a Dremel tool with a brass brush works well. Eye protection is mandatory. Be sure to lube everything as you reassemble it.

You may be able to match up the saddle heigth screws at a well stocked hardware store. If so, they only cost a few cents so its best to replace them. That rust can freeze the set screw in the hole if it's not attended to.

Metal cleaners are usually an acid and I wouldn't use it on an instrument unless I knew for sure that it was safe.

3. Right, hopefully you thought that I was going to take the bridge off the bass first before giving it an acid bath. If not, oops! :p