Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning a Purpleheart Fingerboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hello,
    I didn't want to hijack ChaosGwar's thread, so I posted my own. I've found advice for cleaning several different types of fingerboard woods, but I've yet to find any information on how and how often to properly clean a purpleheart one. I've read that it is a naturally oily wood, so I did not think that the pure lemon oil method would be a good way to go about it. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I would use steel wool to clean the board (repect the wood grain orientation) and then apply a thin coat of warwick wax.

JP

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, thank you for the quick response! I've heard of using steel wool to clean individual frets before, but never a fretboard (seems like a pretty harsh manner in which to clean one :)) Would a #000 steel wool be the proper grade to use? I've also never heard of waxing a fretboard before. Is this to keep the board shiny and slick, or to act as some sort of protective barrier? Again, thanks for your help JP Basses, and anyone else's experiences would also be appreciated.

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    #000 is in fact the right grade for the steel wool.

Wax will act as a protection and will give the board a good looking finish.

I do prefer wax over lemon oil because I find it less sticky.

After waxing, I recommend that you "polish" the board legthwise using a soft polishing hand brush.

Her's a pic showing the kind of brush I'm talking about (not sure how to call it in english so let's bring soemting more visual!) on the bottom right.

[​IMG]

JP