Cleaning a tone control?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Highpines, Jan 25, 2005.

1. I wasan't sure where to post this so sorry if I'm off topic. Ocaisionally one of my tone pots on my "Spector" will crackle or sound scratchy when turned (not all the time) I heard you can clean these?? Any info on what to use and how?......Thanx
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I'm not a fan of Radio Shack for the most part but I picked up some contact/control/cleaner/lubricant there and it's worked and hasn't ruined anything that I can tell. You might do a search in the luthier's forum as I'd imagine there's been repetitive threads to as much posted there - and you might see something more to you're liking.

Twist the control from extreme to extreme several times to spread lubricant and cleaner. Shoot it to sit over night so it has time to dry out before you use the bass - or get a can of compressed air or blow it out afterward with a compressor to fire right up.
  3. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003

another user and i posted some methods in that thread too. apparently it's a relatively common issue. don't be discouraged, it sometimes takes a few tries to get the tone pot completely clean. i kept trying with my volume knob and it never seemed to work. i would just move the dust out of the way, and eventually the pot would return to it's usual crackling. i gave it one last try a couple months ago, and it was perfect after that. not a bit of crackle.

so don't lose hope on it, it just might need a few tries.
  4. Thanx .....I'll give it a try...