Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning an ampeg 6x10??? How!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Ok so i picked up an ampeg 6x10 and behind the grills the speakers have some kind of dust/grime/mud on them and i need to now how to clean them without damaging the speakers themselves. Any ideas?

-Vince

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    lol.... Mud, huh?

OXY-CLEAN IT!!!! :hyper:

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Are we talking about the speakers themselves? If so, how bad is it? Would a little compressed air do the trick? Or is it like "painted" onto the cones?

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Painted on?.... wow. That'd be a bad situation... unless someone's got some good tips here. :meh: Dont be surprised if those speakers dont come through for you.

5. Everything works perfectly its just on them... would water and a rag do the trick? I dont know if the cones can get wet and still be ok. Its as if you took wet mud and splattered it randomly, if it wont affect anything ill keep it there. The reason its probably there is because its so dusty and nasty here in vegas ans this being used probably had its fair share of moving around town.

-Vince

P.S. Let the idea roll forth =)

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Get out the hose, and hose it off. It's just an Ampeg, for crying out loud.

7. A 400$ ampeg lol too much money spend to risk ruining a good cab...id rather have SWR or aguliar but i cant afford either right now so ampeg will get my by more tahn fine till i get rich someday heh.

-Vince

P.S. Munjibunga can i hose down your cabs with a high pressure washer and then you can hose my ampeg down.

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It's hard to say what'll work without seeing it. If the dirt or mud or whatever is really caked on there hard, then air won't work, and even a soft brush might not do the trick. You could try a good quality soft paint brush, the stuff will only come off a little at a time so you'll have to be very patient, and very careful. And, as soon as you see that you've gotten a clear view of the paper cone, stop. A toothbrush is probably too hard, it might damage the paper. Do these speakers actually still work? If so, you might just play them "really loud" for a while and see if any of the stuff falls off. And, it they do still work the way they are, you might think seriously about just leaving them alone. At least you'll have a working cab, if not perfectly clean. I wouldn't use water on them, although if you're really careful with just a damp cloth (damp, not wet) you might get away with it. And a "soft" cloth.

Here's a thought: try e-mailing Ted Weber and ask him what to do. Ted is pretty much "The Man" when it comes to speakers. He probably knows more about speakers than anyone on the planet. He's accessible and very helpful, so be nice to him. His e-mail is tweber@webervst.com.

9. Thanks man i apprecaite the time and help alot. Ill email him now.

-Vince

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I just use the dusting brush on my shop-vac. I keep it a slight angle so it doesn't suck the brush down against the cone...

Slow and easy are the operative words...

Have fun!!!