1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaning and Polishing Musicman Stingray

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by heathenscum, Sep 21, 2008.

1. heathenscum

heathenscum

Aug 21, 2008
    Hello, I have a Stingray bass and want to find out what I should use to polish the body without damaging the finish. I usually just wipe it down after rehearsal or a gig, but when I change the strings I want to give it a more thorough cleaning.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks. :help:

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    For the body, there are several brands of guitar polish that will work just fine (Martin, Ernie Ball, GHS, etc.).

For cleaning the fretboard, I use Dunlop "Fretboard Cleaner/Prep 01" and then moisturize it with GHS "Fast Fret." Keep both of the latter solutions off of the body finish and maple fretboards.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    you can use any guitar polish on the body. that finish is super strong. you won't ever polish through it.

for the neck, do what ernie ball says. user murphy's oil soap, diluted in warm water. i used 2 caps in a warm bowl of water. then use a green scrubby pad to clean all the grime and gunk(which can get to be a lot of you have a maple board). let it dry for a little while. the neck will look whiter after you are finished. once it's dry, use gun stock oil on it. put it on a rag, and then wipe the entire neck(if you have maple). then let it dry, and wipe the excess off. it will feel weird at first, but once you play a little bit, it will wear in.

if you have rosewood, do not do the soap or gun stock oil on it the rosewood part, just the maple area.

4. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    wonder wipes!