Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning bow hair

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Scot, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Someone told me last night that it's a good idea to wipe the excess rosin off from the bow hairs with a cloth everytime I play in addition to wiping the excess off from the strings. I also read/heard that some folks use a fingernail to run across the hairs perpindicular to the hairs to flick the rosin off. What method do you use, if any, to get the excess rosin off the bow hairs? Is it necessary to do it?

-Scot

2. I think there are some lengthy threads that cover this if you use the search tool. I try to keep my fingers off the hair altogether as the finger oil is detrimental to good friction. I just take the excess rosin off the strings with a cotton cloth.

Read the threads on cleaning carefully when you find them. You might check all of the posts by Bob Branstetter, a bass luthier of note. I think his were the most informed and most detailed, Scot. :)

3. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Thanks for the help, Silversorcerer. Also, thanks for posting the great info and links in that other thread. Very informative.

-Scot

4. We try, and I hope you found what you need. :)