Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cleaning bow hairs

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by musicmania, Jan 12, 2006.

1. musicmania

musicmania

Jan 12, 2006
    Do any of you guys know if there is any way, other than rosin, to clean bow hairs? I think i might have gotten too much oils on my bow and wondered of there was a way to get rid of it with getting it restrung. Thanks for your help. :)
    ~High school orchestra student

2. A little alchohol with a tooth brush works for me.

3. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I use alchohol and a comb (gently).

4. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I use comet and a toothbrush and a little water, but I do not get water in the joints.

5. The alcohol/toothbrush or comb works fine. However, if you use alcohol, make damned sure it doesn't touch any wood or varnish.

6. Absolutely. A little goes a long way.

7. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    just as a curiosity, about 15 years ago my hairdresser neighbour told me to clean my bow hair with a mix of professional bleach and peroxide. He said I had to be quick otherwise the mix would eat up the hair. It worked pretty well, the rosin diluted in a matter of seconds. I wouldn't do it again though.

8. basswraith

basswraith

Mar 10, 2003
    Boston
    I use Acetone. Same as nail polish remover. I let the hair soak in a bowl for 4 min. All the crap falls off. It drys fast too.