1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cleaning carpeted cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Michael R, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Michael R

Michael R

Nov 20, 2003
    Henderson, TN
    So I just bought my first head/cab setup. I managed to find a used Peavey 115 cabinet and a Peavey Firebass 700 head for $300 which is thought was a pretty good deal. At any rate, the cabinet is carpeted which of course means it's covered in hair and who knows what else. Does any one know of an easy way to get it off of there? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I would think that any commercial spray cleaning foam plus a good hand vac should do the trick...

MM

3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Nope. Just alot of elbow grease.

Rezdog

4. Michael R

Michael R

Nov 20, 2003
    Henderson, TN
    Thanks for the help. It looks like I have a fair bit of work ahead of me. After removing the grille, I noticed that there are two small tears on the speaker surround. Is this a major problem? I don't notice it when I'm playing through it but I don't want it fail on me during a gig. Are there any other speakers that I could use in place of a Black Widow 15 or am I better of sticking with that?

5. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I would try a vacuum cleaner with a power head attachment
    first.

Cabs are typically designed to work with specific speakers
    in mind. If you replace it, do it with that same speaker as it
    has the same Thiele/Small (T/S) specs as the original.

Before replacing it, you might try a thin line of gel super glue,
    if the tears are hairline cracks. Put a little thicker spot on
    each end to prevent the tear from enlarging.

6. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I have a white Lab and the only thing that gets my cab clean is a vacuum cleaner power head attachment with a rotating brush. Straight up vacuuming does nothing! :meh:

7. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I have the same problem (Beagle hair in my case!), and have often used one of those "lint roller" thingy's (borrowed from my wife). It's like a wide roll of masking tape (but with the sticky side facing out) that rotates on a handle. Works pretty well!

8. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    lint roller

+1 lint rollers work wonders. Rub it down with a brush to break up dirt , vacuum with a good vacuum , the go ever it with a lint roller.

If it's really dirty maybe try shampooing and drying first , never tried and and would be afraid it would release the glue holding the carpet on.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd say yes...tears in the surround are never good. Repairable perhaps... I repaired a number of cones, but only one surround.

Can you post some pictures?

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  11. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    tear all the fur off, refinish with spray on "stone creation" spray in black granite color. Let dry, paint a couple of coats of tung oil finish over that. Gets hard as a rock!!!!!!! Just takes some work. I redid 2 cabs that way.

12. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Another use for Duct tape, the musicians best friend. Takes a wee bit of time, but it works (or taking fur off of cab carpeting - not for speaker repair). Finger nail polish can repair small speaker tears, but that may not be what you're referring to.

13. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Better yet, go rent a Rug Doctor (or similar carpet cleaner) with the attachment set. You get a full spray/extract cleaning head about 3" wide, with very powerful extraction which will pull out the crud, and leave the carpet barely damp to the touch. Basically the same thing the guy was suggesting with the spray bottle and shop vac, but much more effective and simpler to use.

- Tim

14. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    replacing a surround isn't that big a deal for most speakers. I have done a few sets of stereo speakers in the last year or so and found it to be really straightforward. If you don't want to do it yourself you can probably find a referral from a shop near you on where to get it done. And it shouldn't be too expensive.

15. Michael R

Michael R

Nov 20, 2003
    Henderson, TN
    About how much would it cost to replace the surround? I might have to go that route since every place ive found on the internet that sales black widows 15s charges about $160 which isn't really possible at the moment. Thanks everyone for the cleaning suggestions. It turned out pretty nice after alot of scrubbing and vacuuming. I'll try to get some pics up later.

16. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I paid about 20$ for a surround kit for my stereo speakers. I wouldnt expect you would pay much more than that for your woofers. And DIY is a pretty easy process, probly will save $50 or more by DIY.

17. just put a bead of black silicon gel where the tear is, front and back. you can get it at most major auto parts stores

18. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    You can clean at carpet but it never really gets clean.
    As long as bass players keep buying carpet covered cabs the manufacturers will keep cutting corners and putting it on.
    I like the suggestion that said tear it off and use a coating.

19. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I've taken the carpeted covering off of my cabs and sprayed it with Duplicolor spray in truck bed liner. That stuff's tough as nails, looks good and doesn't get hair and all that other crap on it.

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Just get a whole basket/recone kit here: http://www.usspeaker.com/replacement dia-1.htm

It a bolt-on fix, very easy to deal with.