Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning Dust out of Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What's the best way to clean out dust?

How should I handle the speakers?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Play really, really loud................... :D

How did ya get dust inside your cab?

Anyhow, i would remove the grille and then remove the speakers. Label the wires with tape indicating which speaker each was connected to and which terminal (e.g., Top right speaker/+ terminal)

as long as you handle the speakers by the frames they'll be fine.

I'm guessing using a vac thru the holes left by the removed speakers would work as long as you don't accidentally remove or loosen whatever damping material is inside the cab. Otherwise a damp cloth should do the trick on any hard surfaces.

Then polish 'till you can see your face in the wood and reassemble the cab.

3. Are you talking about dust on the speaker and baffle area? Or are you talking about removing the speaker to clean inside the cab?

I would use a soft brush on the speaker, and gently brush the dust off of it. It's not hard, and should not damage your speaker if you're careful...
    For the rest, I usually use a vacuum cleaner with soft-bristle brush attachment.. After that I'll use a damp rag to wipe it down, but DON'T DO THIS ON THE SPEAKER!..

Mag...

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1

thanks for pointing that out. speakers really hate to get wet. They are made of paper after all.

5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Every 6 months or so I vacuum out the inside of all my gear.

6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I'm afraid to look! I don't open up my cabs after receiving/building them, and if they're getting dusty I might rather not know ;)

I once owned an SWR Big Ben 18" that was a regular dustbin, though I was able to clean it through the two 6" enormo ports in the back.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    dang, beat me to it.

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Though you said this in jest, this is actually what I ended up doing. Instead of using my bass, I used my keyboard. When I was sure my family had left, and my dogs were downstairs where their ears would not be hurt, I donned earplugs and played the lowest note I had with my head cranked up almost all the way.

It worked like a charm. The little dust that was left I ended up getting with a small brush as suggested below.

I was too afraid to remove the speakers and clean the back, though my cab does have three holes in the bottom that would be well suited for this purpose. They appear to be 4 inches in diameter, perfect for a vacuum.

Anyway, I have to go. Thanks for the advice.