Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning Elixir's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RoyII, Sep 27, 2005.

1. RoyII

RoyII Guest

Aug 4, 2005
    Monterrey, Mex
    Can I clean my elixir strings with alcohol? Or would that damage the coating? Also... I read that flatwounds damage the fretboard or something like that... perhaps it was roundwounds...

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Ummm.....Huh?

Can you say that again? I didn't quite catch your meaning the first time round.

Don't clean your elixirs with anything but a nice dry cloth. They're coated, so nothing will get into the wrappings.

Now, I THINK what you're getting at with flats or rounds is refering to fretless basses. In which case, roundwounds can cause damage to the fingerboard. On a fretted bass, don't worry about either type.

3. Stainless steel roundwounds on a fretted are supposed to damage your frets, but I've never seen it.

4. RoyII

RoyII Guest

Aug 4, 2005
    Monterrey, Mex
    Thanks. What I meant was if I can clean the strings with alcohol without the coating be damaged, but you are right they should keep clean. I have another question, I have an Ibanez SR505 and its tone is a little to bright for me, would flatwounds help getting a fatter tone? if not, what other strings would?

I hope it doesnt bother you that I made all these questions in one topic. Thanks in advance.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You could try flats...they tend to have less high end. I don't know if I'd describe them as fatter though. You might just try a slightly heavier string guage.

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Tapewounds are PHAT. A good 110-50 gauge of La Bella's tapewounds will really beef up your sound, and get rid of that bright hi-end.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    when you are done playing wipe down your strings with a clean cloth.