1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cleaning Elixir's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RoyII, Sep 27, 2005.

1. RoyII

RoyII Guest

Aug 4, 2005
    Monterrey, Mex
    Can I clean my elixir strings with alcohol? Or would that damage the coating? Also... I read that flatwounds damage the fretboard or something like that... perhaps it was roundwounds...

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Ummm.....Huh?

Can you say that again? I didn't quite catch your meaning the first time round.

Don't clean your elixirs with anything but a nice dry cloth. They're coated, so nothing will get into the wrappings.

Now, I THINK what you're getting at with flats or rounds is refering to fretless basses. In which case, roundwounds can cause damage to the fingerboard. On a fretted bass, don't worry about either type.

3. Stainless steel roundwounds on a fretted are supposed to damage your frets, but I've never seen it.

4. RoyII

RoyII Guest

Aug 4, 2005
    Monterrey, Mex
    Thanks. What I meant was if I can clean the strings with alcohol without the coating be damaged, but you are right they should keep clean. I have another question, I have an Ibanez SR505 and its tone is a little to bright for me, would flatwounds help getting a fatter tone? if not, what other strings would?

I hope it doesnt bother you that I made all these questions in one topic. Thanks in advance.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You could try flats...they tend to have less high end. I don't know if I'd describe them as fatter though. You might just try a slightly heavier string guage.

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Tapewounds are PHAT. A good 110-50 gauge of La Bella's tapewounds will really beef up your sound, and get rid of that bright hi-end.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    when you are done playing wipe down your strings with a clean cloth.