Cleaning gear before selling? Nah...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eric_B, Nov 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I have seen a lot of ads of people trying to sell gear who don't take the effort to at least dust it off but do advertise it as 'in great condition'.
    I don't get that: why not at least clean it and try to present it as best as possible, so you can make the most money out of it?

PS: of course, unless the dust is meant to hide all the scratches and cigaret burns :D

osv, Kmonk, el_Bajo_Verde and 2 others like this.
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    When I used to sell used pro audio gear, everything was cleaned, detailed and fully serviced. The sale included a 90 day warranty also, but this also meant that the gear might not have been as cheap as some of the competitors used gear. It's all about the value that the piece represents.

For inexpensive gear, it may not be worth investing any more time in cleaning, detailing and servicing because the buyer cares only about cost, quality takes a distant second.

Omega Monkey, GregC, TMARK and 4 others like this.
  3. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Simply, because they're done with the item. Some people are tired of putting time and effort into something they have no interest in anymore. How well people take care of their gear can also be an indication of how clean other things are in their life. Dirty house, car, toilet, gear....

allenhumble and gazzatriumph like this.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When I sell stuff, I want it looking like new. Buyers walk away feeling good about it - I like that.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Same.

I take a few minutes to clean and tune the bass and make minor adjustments. That little extra effort can make a world of difference for the first impression of the next owner.

6. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Yes, there certainly is a difference between higher end and cheaper gear, people expect more when they spend more.
    And also there is a difference between a regular guy selling some stale stuff opposed to a (semi-)professional seller.

But how much time and effort would it take to do a simple clean so the first impression is much better?

Al Kraft and agedhorse like this.
  7. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Eye appeal is buy appeal.

8. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I have never understood that. Of course I regularly clean my gear anyway. Same goes for my bikes, motorcycles, anything I have spent hard earned money on.

Another thing, people post up crappy photos. No excuse for that. With a sunny day, the right placement and a good smart phone, anyone should be able to post a decent photo.

9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    That. I've bought quite a few dirt bike parts with dirt or bad photos. I was the only bidder on a aluminum swingarm that looked like it had a patch of rust on it. Of course it was mud. Same year RM swing arm had been bid up to $100, 10x what I paid. That deal and RM400 front end I got notes from the sellers saying they cant believe how little they sold for.

10. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    flash photos really make every day dust/fingerprints stand out .. !

i always try to clean and polish things up before i list ... and check your photos .. ! check the angle of the light hitting stuff and/or reflecting back ... push the button that takes the pic slowly and gently , then you'll get fewer fuzzy pics from the camera moving ... !!

i always plan on spending a good amount of time cleaning most things i buy used ... just to get other folks smegma of things .. !!

Groove Doctor likes this.
  11. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Mine stuff is always clean, so no extra effort needed.

Al Kraft and CentralCoastBass like this.
  12. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I don't mind buying dirty if I can clean it up and flip it for a profit.

13. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK
    I always clean the beer off my basses before I sell

14. It is fine if a seller does not clean their item.
    It tells me that I do not want what they are selling. If they can not take the time to make it look good to sell, then they probably did not take care in other aspects of the item's life.

Buying used is always a risk, they can have problems days after you get it, or last for 20 years. Not knowing its history also, was it "repaired" by the previous owner, Now they are trying to dump it.? Was it "Upgraded"? They will not always tell you.
    If items are clean and look new I assume it was well taken care of, just like you previous posters have mentioned your care. If not I will not think twice about it.

15. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    IMO: bad parenting. Seriously. The important, little things like you're describing matter.
    When you were young, either you were taught to respect your (and other peoples') property, and take good care of it, or not.
    Some folks just have zero pride in anything they do.

Flooflox and dmrogers like this.
  16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Depends on what it is... I have an old squreback Peavey 15" cab in my shop that I might spend a minute blowing off, but something nice? Of course I'm going to show some pride in my work.

17. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Not everyone has a good smartphone, and some have no smartphone at all.

el_Bajo_Verde and Al Kraft like this.
  18. I tried it with music gear. I'm good at the buying... no so good at the selling. :whistle:

I know people who do this very successfully with kids toys, antique furniture, 4WD & motorcycle parts, etc.

My brother is a dumpster-diver (nicknamed Skip Dipper). He flipped 4 solid cedar doors at auction for $1100 profit.

Willicious and Killed_by_Death like this.
  19. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Totally true. I work with a guy in his early 20s who always leaves a mess wherever he goes. His car is full of garbage (literally), and if you didn't know better, you'd swear he was homeless. And he's gainfully employed and in college. I can't imagine what his upbringing must have been like to have that little regard for himself and others.

Strangely, there are pieces of a drum set in the back seat of his car. I've never asked him why, though.

20. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    A clean piece of gear tells me that it has been treated with respect and often has been serviced. I see that as added value.

I also don't get the attraction of distressed instruments. When I buy a new instrument or amp, I want it to look new. The idea of paying someone to damage it is nuts.

el_Bajo_Verde and Al Kraft like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021