Cleaning gear before selling? Nah...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eric_B, Nov 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I clean, polish and tweak to perfection everything that I sell. Conversely, when I buy used, I don't care if its a mess and in need of a lot of work. As long as the underlying piece is desirable and I get it at a very attractive price.

2. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I agree. IMO there's nothing more disgusting then picking up a used bass covered in grunge. I always clean anything that I trade-in or sell, just out of common courtesy. Some stores don't even replace a broken string and just hang the thing up. (jeez :rollno:) If it's in gross condition, you can bet I'm gonna' seriously low ball any offer I make.....

3. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I find my own finger gunk on frets to be nasty enough. I find it off putting that people are ok selling a bass they hadn't cleaned once. Call me Felix, I guess.

4. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    You mean y'all don't want my MOJO? Do you know how long it takes to accumulate a solid layer of grime?

5. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Mine too. I will however give it a quick buff to get any dust or finger marks before shipping.

6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    The reason I have been turned off from buying gear in the past.
    Clean your chit, at least to some degree.
    If it looks like it's been sitting in a garage for the past 5 yrs then it shows neglect and I wonder what else have you done to it.

7. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Gold Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2016
    California
    "Honest honey, I tried to sell some of my excess gear but I just can't a fair priceon it. Yes dear, the photos kinda fuzzy...and that, no, its not dirt, its patina. I guess I'll have to hang on to it until it becomes vintage. Thanks honey-I tried."

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  8. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Passenger, Ship of Fools

Sep 18, 2007
    One could say the same about photos too. If the photos you post are terrible and you don't want to try any harder, then that says a lot about both the seller and the item.

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

People who don't clean gear before selling are scum and don't deserve to do business on TB. There should be a clean gear rating system to show the sellers most likely to unwittingly pack a cat turd in the battery compartment of a pedal or bass. At the very least, they could disclose the fact that they are lazy slobs and offer a discount. I'm 1000% serious.

Has anyone else noticed a general lack of giving a crap in this dept lately in the TB classifieds, or is it just me?

themarshall likes this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Anything I've ever sold or given away went out the door as clean and new looking as possible. Doesn't take much effort however because my stuff is kept nice anyway. But I'll always do a thorough clean and a polish just the same. And if it's a bass, I'll also do a setup and put new strings on if they're rounds.

This isn't something I do to impress the recipient. It's something I do for me. Because I allow myself to take some small amount of pride in the condition of my gear. Purely a personal thing for me. YMMV.

11. FrankLowend

FrankLowend

Dec 31, 2010
    Brazil
    I don't clean to sell.
    My gear is always clean by me and for me.

eric_B likes this.
  12. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I'm indifferent about clean as long as price is commensurate with presentation. What bugs me is crappy photos. I think crappy photos are for the most part intentional. No matter the device used, the shooter is presented with an instantaneous image that was just taken. It looks bad so take another shot! Oh wait - the idea is to obscure the bangs, scratches, dents by having the shot out of focus and jittery? I guess job well done then. I won't buy anything with crappy photos.

Plectrum72 likes this.
  13. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I bought a Fender Custom Shop NOS Jazz for $1300. Marked down from $2200. It was filthy. It smelled like an ashtray. The smell made my eyes water. The finger board was covered in gunk. I asked why they didn't clean it. I was told you can't really clean a nitro finish.

Got it home, wiped it down with naphtha, tooth brush and lemon oil on the fret board. Good as new.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  14. I'm not really sure what dust has to do with condition. I just listed a black Tbird. Was all cleaned up and ready for outdoor pictures. My photography skills are lacking, and I don't own a smart phone. I put it in the case, transported it outside, then photographed it. After looking at the pictures, I now see "case dust" all over the bass, lol. Is that a reflection on me, or the case?

15. braud357

braud357

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    Just like an automobile - clean sells !

16. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    YES - do it. Always better results. I buy and sell a lot of gear. One of my buying tools is "man, that thing looks rough" or "those controls don't sound too good" when I know a good cleaning and Deoxit will make a huge difference. On the other side, I have buyers say, "you sure took good care of this" with it being clean etc. :thumbsup:

17. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You might be just a....wee....bit dramatic here..

DaveDeVille likes this.
  18. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Maybe a little. If everything is functional and has a little crud on it, no big deal, but I've seen some nasty specimens in my time. I just appreciate when others put the same care I do in when selling a used item. Questions sellers could ask themselves before shipping out an item:

1) Is it fully functional, and if not, have I disclosed this?
    2) Did I test the item out for functionality and run it through its basic paces before packing?
    3) How would I want to receive this if I was the buyer? Would I care about the weird brown smudge on the pedal casing or five years worth of dried skin flakes caked into the bridge and pickups?
    4) If I am shipping an item, should I just toss it in a paper envelope with a handful of packing peanuts and hope for the best? What are the chances this sturdy jazz pickup won't explode when run through the envelope rollers at the post office because I wanted to save a few bucks by not shipping it as a parcel package?

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I regularly rotate my gear and it's important that I treat it well and keep it clean. When I see messy gear for sale I seldom inquire to purchase it

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021