Cleaning grubby unfinished wood (bubinga)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stompfrog, Dec 15, 2005.

1. My recentely accquired '93 warwick thumb NT is discoloured on the upper wing and around the pots. This is presumably from the many dirty hands that have stroked its beautiful bubinga curves over the years! :bassist:

Stompfrog Senior is into his cabinet making and furniture restoration and suggested using white spirit to remove the layers of wax (and hopefully the grime) from the bass and get back to the bare wood underneath... then build up new (clean layers) of wax.

Does this sound like a sensible plan... he is great with tables and chairs but is far from being a bassist so thought I would double check with the TB crew!

Merci, Danke, Graci, Asante Sana, Cheers, Thanks!
  2. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Sounds plausible to me.
  3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Wood is wood, bud - if he knows his stuff regarding furniture refinishing, I doubt he'll steer you wrong... IMO, the only instruments whose tonal qualities are altered by refinishing are hollowbodies - I've refinished a few solid guitars and basses, and never noticed a change in tone afterwards...

- georgestrings
  4. Thanks for the feedback guys...

I will no doubt give this a go over the xmas period. I think it is worth it as the grain on the back is much nicer than on the front where the grime is.

Maybe I will post before/after pictures? :)
  5. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    It doesn't exist unless you do! ;)