Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cleaning- (lemon oil and maple necks)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dirtgroove, Feb 8, 2004.

1. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    HI there,
    I went into my local guitar store a week or so back looking for some advice on scrubbing up a rather grimy looking maple neck -and was sold some Dunlop lemon oil. I've used it once before noticing the small print on the bottle which states that it is not intended for use on a maple neck-can anyone please tell me why I can't use it?
    I haven't used it since- if I were to use it over a period of time what might the consequences be?
    Thanks,
    Tom.

I tried searching and couldn't find anything that specifically relates to this.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually, I put some on a maple neck quit a while back. I'm guessing, but I seriously doubt it would harm the neck, probably more an easthetic thing, since it's a light wood. But to my knowledge lemon oil is for protecting the wood not cleaning it. I just picked mine up from Home Depot. Local luthier uses the same stuff. They had a cleaner by the same manufacturer so I picked some of it up to. The luthier said the best thing he's found for cleaning is lighter fluid of all things. Uses it on all finishes and stated it cleaned a lot better than the cleaner I picked up. I've been using lighter fluid ever since.

If you didn't clean the neck with something before you put the oil on, the old layer may have prevented some penetration into the wood. So you can probably clean it off if you haven't already. Mine's kind of grimed up cause I didn't clean it last string change. So I don't know if the oil has had any lasting effect in terms of darkening or discoloration, which is going to happen in time regardless.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    And you might post this under Luthiers if you don't get a response you feel comfortable with.