1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cleaning Musicman Maple Board

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Apr 16, 2006.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    I just bought my EB MM SR5 in October, and the fretboard on this thing is already so gross it pains me to look at it. Now, I was my hands obsessively when playing, and I clean the board with Formby's Lemon oil and a damp washcloth every time I change my strings or about once a month, and the board is all discolored and grey, even a gross greenish color in some spots. It's really upsetting. There are a few threads here about cleaning these things, but they all recommend measures I've already tried. The Ernie Ball forums recommend diluted Murphy's oil soap for heavily soiled boards, but that only sanding will removed ground in dirt, and it's not recommended.

Anyone have any experience in bringing one of these boards back to showroom shine, and what to do to protect it in the meantime?

2. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    I posted this on the setup and repair board, but noone is ever reads anything there apparently so I'll throw it on here and hope to get some results:

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I never got a showroom shine out of mine, but I was happy when it was cleaner.

Diluted Murphy's oil soap always worked for me.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It could be that there's something wrong with the factory fingerboard finish itself-either a bad batch or inproper application. It's hard to tell without a close look. Was the bass new when you bought it? Any chance it had been refretted and refinished?

The cleaning methods tried should have worked. They do in most cases.

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I dont know if this could be a reason, but it sounds to me you're really over doing it with the lemon oil. Most people only use lemon oil once or twice a year, myself included. The Murphys oil soap works good too I hear, though I've never tried it myself. Best thing to keep the neck clean is to wash your hands, which you say you already do, and keep it in the case when you dont use it. Some discoloration is normal, I mean the neck is basically unfinished. If its really driving you crazy email ebmm customer service, they're the best in the biz.

6. Have the Maple necks changed on MM's in the last few years? My 1990 was satin coated but has worn to a fairly shiney appearance back and front. Never had to clean it - with the exception of the odd bit of polish to bring back the 'whizz'.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Same stuff. Either he has really dirty sweat or hes over lemon oiling it. I dont know anyone that lemon oils a maple fingerboard, usually tahts for rosewood and such.

I would lay off the lemon oil.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  9. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    I spoke to a guyy at EB who offered to apply some kind of sealant if I would ship the bass to them and back. The shipping doesnt bother me, but we gig almost every week and it's my only bass...

ehhhr I could explain but my explanation wouldnt accquit me

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wouldnt seal it, the EB neck finish is very comfortable..

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    How about trying lighter fluid (naptha...leaves no residue behind) and really fine steel wool?