Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning My Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by L-D, Sep 20, 2003.

1. L-D

L-D

Sep 20, 2003
    England, Herts
    Hey guys, i don't know if this has been posted anywhere before but anyway...

I just got my Ibanez GSR205 and i want to keep it looking nice and shiny. Its black so a lot of marks show up, as do any bits of like fluff. I've tried some wipes but they left some smudges and i tried some cloths and they left bits of fabric all over the place.

So can anyone tell me the best way to clean and maintain my bass?

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    This is more of a Misc. kinda thing.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

3. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    i have a gsr too, and due to its particular paint/finish/whatever it is, its hard to keep it clean (fingerprints). I use a cloth like the ones i use to clean my glasses, and when theres too much dust, i use some cloths with a special oil that my mother uses to clean wooden furniture, etc.

hope that helps.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Guitar polish-wise these days, I've been using Dunlop #65 in lightly sprayed amounts. Do not use gratuitously, just spray and clean when alot of "slop" builds up.

Too much polishing will start those micro-"brillo" scratches in the finish.

The previous post is right on about using a very soft cloth.

5. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I have found that an old t-shirt is great for cleaning my basse.

6. I use "Gibson Guitar Polish GG-910" for black finishes/paint whatever it is. And a special "lint-free cloth" that I got from a music store once.
    Make sure there is no dust, or ash/grit whatever, on your instrument then spray a SMALL amount of polish onto the cloth, buffer the designated area until a high gloss shine is achieved. Repeat this procedure as needed to polish your entire instrument. And wola, as good as new. But with time there will be a few tiny scraches from polishing.

(Our guitarist has NEVER polished his guitar and it looks like it's been Airbrushed or something.)

SCODI

7. via satellite

via satellite

Sep 16, 2003
    I am probably more obsessive-compulsive than most, but I've found that the way I clean my bass means I never need polish. Essentially, I keep a clean, soft cloth in my case at all times, and I wipe the whole bass pretty much whenever I touch it. If I'm tuning, I use the rag over the tuners, and I pay special attention to places like the bridge. I also wipe the strings frequently. If I'm playing somewhere I'll generally not worry about it until I'm finished. I guess the theory behind it is that I never let enough crap build up that I'd need to do a bigtime cleaning. And, when people see my bass, they often compliment me on how nice it looks. And I should probably admit that I have a thing for shiny objects, so that might be part of my motivation...:D

8. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    A friend here at work had me do a set up on a black Ibanez that had a ton of little scratches and such. Figuring "what the hell" I tried some of that black car wax polish, specifically made for black cars that has black tint in it, while I had the strings off. Didn't get rid of everything, but did quite well on filling in the very shallow scratches and reducing the appearance on the deeper ones. It's nice and shiny, fingerprints wipe off easy. I'm not sure if yours is new but if it's a bit older, this might be a cheap way to clean it up. As for dust/lint, a soft-bristle brush works fine.

9. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    3M Cleaner Wax/Swirl remover followed by Zaino show car polish! :eek:

[​IMG]

10. wow! At first I was trying to find out why you had taken a picture of yourself in a mirror when this is a thread about polishing, but then I realised that that mirror, was your bass!:eek:
    Way to shine that baby up!:p