1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cleaning my neck....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just curious if I'm the only guy who does this. I do not come from the school of the "funk is in the gunk" and I like my bass neck and fretboard clean. I also don't like the feel of polish buildup, or the slight stickiness that polishes and waxes sometimes leave. I therefore clean my neck with a little bit of water and a coarse sponge. I dry it real quickly with a towel when I do, but I can't help to get a pang of "I must be out of my mind wetting the wood" whenever I do this. Does anyone else do this, is it safe, and if not - how do you clean your fretboard and neck.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Let's say it's the one with the finished neck and the ebony fingerboard - I just wipe it down, using a lot of pressure, with a cloth made to wipe vinyl LP's. I'm leery of polishes but I imagine those made specifically for instrument finishes, like Alembic, are just fine.

Personally, I wouldn't use water. You don't know where it's been. ;)

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    On the advice of someone 20+ years ago, I have used a mild soap (like dish soap) and a toothbrush to scrub the fretboard. I wipe it clean with a damp cloth a few times, then use a dry towel to finish it. When I'm done, I use a little lemon oil on the fretboard.