Cleaning my neck....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just curious if I'm the only guy who does this. I do not come from the school of the "funk is in the gunk" and I like my bass neck and fretboard clean. I also don't like the feel of polish buildup, or the slight stickiness that polishes and waxes sometimes leave. I therefore clean my neck with a little bit of water and a coarse sponge. I dry it real quickly with a towel when I do, but I can't help to get a pang of "I must be out of my mind wetting the wood" whenever I do this. Does anyone else do this, is it safe, and if not - how do you clean your fretboard and neck.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Let's say it's the one with the finished neck and the ebony fingerboard - I just wipe it down, using a lot of pressure, with a cloth made to wipe vinyl LP's. I'm leery of polishes but I imagine those made specifically for instrument finishes, like Alembic, are just fine.

Personally, I wouldn't use water. You don't know where it's been. ;)
  3. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    On the advice of someone 20+ years ago, I have used a mild soap (like dish soap) and a toothbrush to scrub the fretboard. I wipe it clean with a damp cloth a few times, then use a dry towel to finish it. When I'm done, I use a little lemon oil on the fretboard.