Cleaning my neck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Obsolex, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ok, i'm going to get my head at Guitar Center, and I realized that I havn't cleaned my neck in a while, at least 4-5 months. But what is good to clean it off? I've heard good and bad things about windex... Water... Lemon oil???
  2. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    I recently got sick of the warwick wax that they say to clean your bass with ... so i went and bought some lemon oil and my bass didnt even look this good when i bought it. I would say if your bass dosent have a gloss finish on it that it may just work wonders for you too. I used Weiman Natural Lemon Oil because it dosnt have any silicones which are supposto clog your pores or something like that, and it has sunscreen, figured that couldent hurt. worked wonders on my fret board too.
  3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Hm..... Sounds good, where can you get this stuff at? Think they have it at Guitar Center?
  4. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Guitar stores should carry lemon oil. Different stores may have different brands. Read the label, but anything you get from them should be safe for your fingerboard or any part of the bass that does not have a hard finish (like tung-oil finished instruments).

You can get it at the grocery store too. It's with the furniture polish and all that sort of stuff. DEFINATELY READ THE LABEL if you get it at the grocery store. You want to make sure it has no additives like wax or silicons. Some of the stuff made for furniture has no-telling-what in it.
  5. OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm old school and things I've done through the years that worked for me. First clean around the frets with a old toothbrush if lots of gunk built up. Then use 0000 steel wool and lightly polish the frets. Same 0000 steel wool good for polishing scratches out of CD's BTW. Then wipe down the fretboard good to get the steel wool residue off. Then if fretboard needs it, I'd put some Old English Red Oil on a rag and wipe down the fretboard. Then wipe down again with a clean rag. I also have a can of compress air, you can get at computer or camera stores. I use that as necessary to blow out the dust and etc that builds up under the strings around the PUPS, bridge pieces, and head stock. Just be care not to get too close or stay in one place to long when around the PUPs. The compress air is very cold and has some moisture in it. I use the compress air on the fretboard and strings if the cleaning rag is leaving lint.

Works for me, your mileage may vary.