Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning my Supernils...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Andrew_S., Feb 12, 2003.

1. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hey all,
    I've noticed that my Supernils A and E are becoming discolored. Actually, it looks like some type of oxidation or something becuase they turned from silver to like a copper color. I've also noticed that they did NOT become discolored around where I pull and slap them (around the end of the fingerboard). and where I predominantly finger the notes (first through third position)Can I change this? I was thinking about rubbing alcohol on the strings but I don't want to hurt them (actually, fairly soon i want to replace them all together but I'm stuck with em' for a little while). I haven't noticed any ill effect on their tone (of course I could just be getting used to them). I just don't like the way it looks.
    Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what do you do? :confused:

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I think the Supernyl basses (E and A) are silver-plated on copper wire.
    So what you see if the silver-plating coming off the copper wire.
    There's nothing you can do about that.
    Once the copper is exposed, I'm afraid that verdigris will soon develop on it.
    Your skin's chemistry is responsible for this degradation. (perspiration)
    The only solution I see is to change the strings!
    :)
    But at about 50 bucks a set, that's not a big problem.

How long did you play them?

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    François, où sont tes lunettes: André is saying that the strings are becoming stained all over except where he plays them. It's not the plating coming off; it's oxidation getting in. There must be a bunch of different metal polishing preparations for silverware, copper pots and pans and other tin objects that you could use on the strings. But some of this stuff would be left in the groves between the windings of the strings (aren't Supernils roundwound?), and could get on your fingers, then on the burger that you eat between sets, etc... would enventually give you stomach ache.

A bassist with gastrointestinal problem can't be a happy slapper: avoid shining your strings with toxic stuff. :rolleyes:

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    :)
    Indeed, where are my spectacles?...
    Anyway, his strings are over, don't we agree? ;)

5. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks guys for the replies!

I guess I've had them for about 6 or 7 months now. I never really noticed it until I was getting into a jam where I was higher up on the finger board and I noticed that the silver wasn't quite silver anymore. Then looking up and down the strings I saw the discoloration. As I stated, I haven't noticed an il leffect on tone but my ears could just be getting used to the "bad" tone.

Oh well, thanks anyway. :( I guess 50 bucks is chalked up to a lesson learned. :)

6. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I posted a while back about cleaning my Supernyls. I also noticed that after playing 'em for a while, they have started taken on a rather malevolent odor and cause my fingers to reek! Anyone else have this problem? I'm chalking it up to the fact that they are round wound and maybe some of my finger oil/sweat got into the grooves.
    In any case, I took some warm soapy water and just washed the damn things. To my suprise, that copper like color went away along with some of the bad smell. I'm not sure if this detrimental to their well being but I figured that I only spent 60 bucks on 'em so I can experiment until I get myself som Eurosonics!