cleaning nat oil finish?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JAL, Aug 23, 2005.

1. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hey TBers. My new natural oil finish spector is awesome and they say to clean in and wax it every now and then. I own a warwick, and consequently the warwick wax. Would that work? I also have a bottle of hardware store Old english lemon oil. Should I use that, or something else?
  2. I suppose the Warwick wax would work, speaking as a Warwick owner and waxer.

But I'm not 100%. The finish WW uses was developed by them, and is quite special. Send a mail to Spector, (they usually reply very quick) and ask them.
  3. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    If you don't mind my asking, where did you buy yours? I cannot find a natural oil Rebop. Thanks.
  4. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I've had great success on my natural poly/oil finishes using a little dab of lemon oil on a cloth. Gets the gunk off and polishes them up to a nice shine. Smells good too!

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    For regular, light cleaning micro-fiber cloths are the deal. They pick-up alot of dirt and sort of "knock-down" the finish a bit, polishing it slightly and making it smoother, which tends to add a bit of durability in between waxes. Just use it dry. You can get them all over, but edgless ones from auto parts stores are the best.
  6. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Mines not a rebop :). mines a euro LX4

Attached Files:

7. Is there a rule of thumb for natural oil finishes in general? I have a new bass with a oil/varnish finish on it and I'm not sure what to attack it with.
  8. Just stay away from the solvents like alcohol. Alcohol eats varnish. The lemony oil thing is OK as long as it's just oil and not a bunch of "petroleum distillates" - read the labels. The microfiber cloth is a great idea for most areas since you only come in contact with a few areas of the instrument - for the rest, use the cloth. I use a little Windex on really tough greasy "things" but I put it on a paper towel and apply it directly to the glob and wipe it immediately. Guitar cleaners are fine too.
  9. Thanks! I come from a long line of clear coated finished of one sort or another. :crying:
  10. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    What happens if theres petroleum distillates? The stuff ive been using says "contains petroleum distillate". Did I just kill my bass?
  11. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    This really is a good question. Since I bought my Oil finished bass a few months ago I've been afraid to put anything on it due to all the varied opinions on what to use. I've been wiping it down with a microfiber cloth, but I sure would like give it a decent clean at some point. I bought the Warwick wax a few months ago when I bought the bass, but haven't used it because I've heard some people say don't use wax because it can buildup. I also have lemon oil that I use on my acoustic, but I've heard citrus based oils can dry out the finish. I'm very perplexed on what to use, if anything, on an oil finish... :meh: