1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaning Noisy AI Pots

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by statsc, Nov 13, 2018.

1. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Can anyone point me to Rick Jones’ instructions on how to clean noisy pots on AI amplifiers? Thanks!

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    If I'm not mistaken, depending on when the amp was made would determing how you would clean Acoustic Image pots or if you even can clean them.

Newer amplifiers don't always feature pots that you can clean, so I'd email Rick or call him and tell him which version of the amp you have.

3. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Mine is an old Series I AI Coda, the earliest they made.

4. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Directly from Rick:

Attached Files:

5. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Thanks!

6. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Unfortunately,
    This does not cover how to clean the pots because one would have to open up the amp, which isn’t advisable, unless you have some experience with such things. While, I regularly clean the pots and jacks on my Water Woods, they are easy to access, I have no experience with a Acoustic Image.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    The only issues I’ve had with Rick’s amps have been dirty jacks and problematic switches on the second generation Clarus which he replaced. The combo jacks may be a problem for some owners. When using deoxit don’t over do it.

Ric Vice likes this.
  8. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    I called Rick Jones at Acoustic Image, and it turns out that it wasn’t a noisy pot, but rather a dirty input jack. A few shots of Deoxit and problem solved!

9. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Good call, I forgot about the jack cleaning. I had a bassist here in St. Louis that I was listening to set up. His GK MBE150 just started making the worst noises. I had him clean the Jacks and voila problem solved
    Had the same issues a Walter Woods MI-400-8 I used to own. :woot::)