1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaning Pops' off plain gut

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Alexi David, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    How do you guys do it? I'm talkin' like when it has accumulated over a period of time and has gunked up.

2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yuck :) Does Pops even work with plain gut? If you're going to use that stuff I would recommend that you clean your strings after every session of arco use. After prolonged use I'd try some rubbing alcohol. Good luck.

3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Pops appears to be quite popular with gut Jazz guys here in NYC.

I'm back to using it, I think. The medium Oak rosin is not panning out great.

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Doesn't the alcohol dry the string up?

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've never had that problem with the gut strings I've used - all of which have been varnished.

6. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    The alcohol wil dry the strings indeed, so after cleaning them, you will need to oil them:D . i often do this with no adverse efects so far.
    good luck

Nuno

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021