1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cleaning products?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Flippy, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Once a week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Every two weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Once a month

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Less than once a month

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    The Matte bass finish repair topic got me thinking about how you folks treat your instruments.
    I just use a lightly damp cloth to remove dust from the body and clean the gunk from the frets, and put a dunlop 65 string cleaner from time to time. My bass has a semi-gloss black "factory relic" finish and a maple fingerboard, if that's relevant.

How do you clean your bass? Do you think it matters much whether you use water, household solutions or products advertised for guitar (or even specific wood type)?

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I wipe down the bass with a microfiber "terry" cloth after every gig. I might use a cloth dampened with water if I notice any nasty grunge. Otherwise I don't clean my basses ... I use flats and don't even change the strings more than once a decade. ;) My basses all look like new, btw.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Microfiber wipe downs. Polish with a little furniture oil once in awhile. Helps keep the fret board from drying out.

4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Rarely. I have very dry skin that leaves nary a fingerprint. I also wash my hands before playing.
    When I do clean, it usually just a shot of whatever guitar polish is handy with a soft flannel cloth.
    I'll give my non maple boards a splash of oil as needed.

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Wipe it down after use (old t shirt.) Damp soapy rag if it gets too dirty, attack grunge on fretboard w/toothbrush my oldest bass is 40+ years old I've washed it maybe half a dozen times. No oils ever, rosewood fretboard.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  6. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    The option of "Only when I change strings" is not there. Thus about every year to 10 months. My basses are not collectors items. As for cleaning products, mineral oil for rosewood necks, and moist cloth to wipe down the neck, and a blower bulb (for photography lenses) to blow out any dust in the bridge.

Flippy likes this.
  7. I use the Fender Guitar cleaner but spray it onto a microfibre cloth and then clean. I do it every month but need to do it every day.