Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning/Protecting Wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by biergott, Dec 19, 2002.

1. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I have a Warwick Thumb-4 and am curious as to what you find the best cleaner/protectant to use is. I have used a wax that I got a Guitar Center but the wood feel like it is really getting dry by my volume and tone knobs, and where my hand normally rests.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I used Olive Oil on mine the other day as I couldn't find any wax type stuff.

3. Are you serious with the olive oil?

4. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Australia
    Clean.......your Bass????.........strange concept.

5. Hi Biergott,

I was just reading in a guitar maintenance book that the wax used for bowling alleys and gym floors, called Butcher's Wax, is really good for unfinished guitar bodies. Never tried it myself but just wanted to pass it along.

Also, according to the Warwick manual, they recommend the Warwick Beeswax (of course!). :)
    They say to use it once a month.

Gary

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have Warwick's also, and I think that wax they have sucks. My Luthier that works on my basses recommends that I use Olive oil like someone mentioned about once a month. This has seemed to help out the finish and condition of my unfinished basses. It's also quite cheap. I can just about buy a gallon of it compared to a small little amount that most manufactures sell at the same price. The bottom line is that oil is oil, and wood needs oil or it will dry up and crack. Maybe some oils are a little better, but if you do it frequently enough, it really doesn't matter because your bass will be in good condition anyway.

7. Try orange oil. I use it all the time, and it works wonders on my fingerboards for bass, guitar and violin.
    Any woodworking supply store should have it, and I think Stewart McDonald sells it.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Is orange oil as affordable as olive oil, because if so, I'll use that from now on.

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Yes-just don't use too much.

10. I've never purchased olive oil before, but I paid $7 for the bottle of orange oil about a year and a half ago, and I still have about a 1/2 bottle left.

you can go to www.rockler.com and put part # 92958 in the search box to see the product I use. It's $6.99 there.