1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaning & Punching Up My Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray_EB, Sep 7, 2008.

1. So judging by all these replies my best option would be to look at a different bass ?

2. After reviewing your cab I would say get a different cab. Your bass is sweet. Cabs rocks but not a scooped sounding one...I heard a DB?? series one and it punched holes in walls. Chocolate tolex.

3. dsDodgers

dsDodgers Banned

Sep 7, 2008
    sunny so cal
    me 2 :(
    but i couldnt find one that got my point across :atoz:

4. hmmm dilemas eh. So the majority say its the bass and a few say its the cab......

5. IME also- Stingrays have a HUGE full tone!!! MY Stingray 5 sounds monstrous. I cannot imagine it to be the bass. I own a P & a J & the 'ray is a 'bigger' punchier sound than both. I aint saying I like it better- I like 'em all- & they all work differently, but I've NEVER found the 'ray to be lacking in punch, tone or it's ability to cut thru. Quite the opposite.

6. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Before you jump and buy a new bass, is it possible to try someone else's and see if it achieves the sound you want with your current rig? Or the other way around, you can go to GC and bring your bass trying out different set ups.

7. +1 do both. Take the bass and rig on a music store tour.

8. +2. Take your bass on an excursion through a music store and see if you can find your sound.
    The Ray can be a punchy beast. A lot of people don't like them- but they're not you. :p

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The NE-1 is cut-only, it only scoops. http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%253D60151%2526CTID%253D,00.html

Anyway though, I agree with the posts saying try out a wide range of other gear in different combinations, you never know where that weakest link is until you materially eliminate it. Sometimes all it takes is a proper setup! Other times it can be as simple as removing a tone-sucking pedal. Maybe you'll end up buying a new bass or a new cab, but don't bank on either one of those being the answer until you've tested as many variables as you can think of.

10. as a fellow stringray player i know where you're coming from! if you can, try playing through a berg ae410. if definitely added a lot more low-end and a "meaner growl". if you're gonna do a GC trip, definitely try out the aguilar stuff as well. i always liked the aguilar sound with my mm.

11. Ok, so after taking a few days to really think about my options. Replacing my GS212 isnt really the easiest thing for me to do right now. Now I hear people suggesting an outboard pre. My concerns were how well will it actually work ? Forgot to mention the goal im after is more mids.

12. Actually before I go down the pre amp route, would anyone suggest adding another cab or changing my head ?

13. This is the tone Im after.

14. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    That sounds like really warm rounds or maybe even flats. A Stingray with flats can sound an awful lot like that clip.

Put some La Bellas on there, bump the low mids (I don't hear a lot of lows). Play up by the neck.

15. So. +3 on all the above advice to try a friend's bass through your rig, or take your bass to a music store.

SECONDLY, I may have missed it in this thread, but I didn't see anybody mention that the GS212 may be a tad scooped, both how the cab is tuned as well as a 12" driver's nature.

I know nothing about the Mesa head you're using. I DO know, however, that I have lusted after gear that has not delivered, and I did not want to part with it due to its "cool" factor.

For instance, I just REALLY like that damn Aguilar logo. And since my GS112 DOES deliver, I'm glad I don't have to get rid of it, cause I'm not sure I would be able to. :)

Lots of good advice here. Not time to pitch your EB YET ;) even though I have to agree with one poster about the overall tone of Spector basses-- very good mid and piano-type tone.

Good luck. Play another bass through your rig and take your bass to a music store and play through some other gear.

16. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Try adding a little at 400hz, 800hz, or both. I'd say the 400 should work for you.

17. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    +938745 !!!

I thought i was the only one that thought that!! Every time i picked up a stingray I could never dial into a 'full sound'

18. KevinMG

KevinMG Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    As I was reading the thread, my first reaction was what kind of music you play. But then I saw the youtube clip.

First of all, you're trying to recreate the sound you hear of a live band through lots of production gear and into your home through whatever sound system you have. Talk about variables! Pursuit of that tone will drive you mad. And what you hear solo in close quarters won't translate exactly to the stage in a mix, or even to tape.

Second of all, as others have said, your bass & rig are quite opposite of Ricky Minor. BB750 are aggressive mid-heavy heads combined with a very punchy cutting SR4. The GS212 should be smoothing that out some, but they could all be fighting one another and then combine that with environment variables. I've played my Walkabout through a GS212 and found it to be smooth, yet deep and punchy (but that was testing it out, not with a band). I will say that I favor my Jazz basses and recently unloaded my SR5 because I couldn't connect with its tone through my Walkabout.

Keep in mind that Ricky Minor is very hi-fi, using a Sadowsky J or Ken Smith 5, and I think remember seeing an Aguilar DB750 head and GS810 cab on the riser (yes, I'll admit to watching the show every season... best house band on TV). It's so hard to tell in the mix whether he favors the bridge pickup or just playing over it, particularly through youtube even with good 'phones on. My experience having an SR5 is that they are very compressed, punchy quick sounding basses without a lot of warm body, and always sound burpy and sterile in the mix. I'll assume you've tried playing with EQ and amp gain, so I won't go there.

My suggestiong would be to test out a 2-pickup bass through your rig as others have mentioned, favor the bridge a little and you'll be close. Take advantage of a good return policy and test it in your usual rehearsal/gig conditions.

Wouldn't hurt to test out a 4x10 cab, which might be more punchy over the 2x12. If you're an Aguilar guy, then perhaps the DB series which people have said are very punchy, warm and mid present. But it all depends what else your working with on stage - type of music, other instruments, venue. The tone you hear that cuts through all of that is the tone you're trying to recreate.

I say if people enjoy your music, your bandmates aren't complaining, and you're having fun... that may be your least expensive fix.

Good luck!

19. I cant remember who but someone said that a GS210 might just give me enough mid bump to put a smile on my face, thoughts on that ? There is also the problem that I bought the GS212 from the bass gallery in london.....they dont do returns.

20. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+4 on trying a different bass with your rig, in your environment. Forget the music store; you'll never hear anything properly while noodling quietly.

While you're at it, have another player bring the bass. And listen to him play your bass, then his bass. Is it playing technique or the instrument?

The tone of a different bass doesn't have to be perfect, just different enough to convince you to continue exploring the instrument as the source of your tone.

If the instrument doesn't sound different, it's your amp---and probably your settings.