1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cleaning, removing old wax and discolouration on natural oil finish

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Magyar_Music, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Magyar_Music

Magyar_Music

Sep 13, 2011
    Gloucester
    Hi guys,

Just snagged a Warwick LX5 with natural oil finish over flamed maple but there are some areas of discolouration that I'd like to remedy (they don't affect playability, but are visually distracting on an otherwise beautiful bass).

I tried soft cloths, super light steel wool on the affected area and re-waxing, but the discolourations are still there. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I would suggest something mild like Murhpy's Oil Soap and a soft cloth. Anything more aggressive could break down the finish. Because the finish is so thin it's important to know when to quit. Some stains penetrate and just won't come off without removing the finish.

3. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    There's also the possibility that (a) it is the finish itself that is permanently discolored and would need to be removed completely or (b) the wood itself is unevenly colored naturally-it happens- and no matter what you do it won't change and your only recourse is a refin in a darker stain to camouflage it.
    If it's just on the surface you might try naphtha to clean it but that would remove the wax and you would need to rewax.

4. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    We have a few videos on care and maintenance on the Warwick website here: http://warwick.de/modules/infos/info.php?katID=24382&cl=EN If the surface was not protected properly by being waxed previously, the chances of discoloration getting deeper into the wood is possible. You can try the Warwick Surface Finisher to remove the stains, and be sure to use it to protect the bass from this point forward. However, once stained it may take more work than its worth to completely remove them. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can assist in any way.