Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning rosewood

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Linas, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I have a rosewood fretboard that i have been noticing an increasing ammount of film (most likely dirt and dead skin) collecting on my fretboard. What products do you recomend i use to clean this off. I have heard mixed reviews on alot of products such as lemon oil.

2. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    Dr. Duck's Ax Wax works well.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Lighter fluid (Napthalene) works well for cleaning finger funk off of fingerboards. It dries without leaving residue behind.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Naptha also dries very quickly and makes a good cleaner for metal parts and pickguards. It won't harm finishes or plastic.

I buy Coleman Camp Fuel by the gallon at hardware stores. It's much cheaper this way and is the same naptha as lighter fluid. Check the label if you buy it to make sure it's the right stuff. I use a lot of it as a fast drying solvent for thinning varnish and cleaning brushes.Some paint supply stores also sell it as Varnish Maker's and Painter's Naptha.

Be careful with naptha as it's more volatile than paint thinner. Lots of ventilation and no smoking near it.

5. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    But that's the Funk:D

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I use a rotary tool (Dremel) with a soft bristle "cup" attachment.

7. You can also use Murphy's oil soap. Naptha works great as well.

8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    GHS Fast fret is alright, and Also some fretboard Lemon Oil.

9. SoulStabber

SoulStabber

Mar 13, 2006
    Malaysia
    My fingerboard (rosewood) shows some minor cracks on it. Dirt has accumulated in them. How do i get it out?