1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaning Rosin Off Your Bass

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Carvale, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Carvale

Carvale

Feb 9, 2008
    Twin Cities
    Should I clean the little hardened spatters of rosin off my Bass?
    Thanks,
    Michael

2. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Yes.

3. Menacewarf

Menacewarf

Mar 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Nothing like going out of your way to give someone a hand...:rolleyes:

4. Carvale

Carvale

Feb 9, 2008
    Twin Cities
    What would be the best way to clean rosin of a
    bass?
    Thanks,
    Michael

5. dchan

dchan

Nov 19, 2005
    Bethlehem, PA
    For rosins that stick to their container, like Kolstein soft frequently does at higher temperatures, the best method to separate them is by putting the rosin into the freezer and then pulling the rosin out when it gets cold enough. When it gets cold enough, the rosin turns from a viscous goop to a more solid object.

So perhaps the best way to separate rosin splatters from your bass is to make the splatter somehow. I don't know how to do it, but I can't think of another way, given the delicate nature of the varnish.

6. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Walk-in freezer?

7. Man who's that playing the bass in your avatar?

Sorry, had to ask. I just seemed totally incompatible with the "walk in freezer" idea.:eek:

Petz rosin remover works pretty well. You know Petz would make a solution to their own problem...

But truly I don't know how people get goo all over a bass. I've played arco now for several years and it just doesn't happen to my bass. I get the feeling if this is happening, perhaps there is way too much rosin on the bow. I used Pops for a long time and now I use a lot of Soft Oak, but the key is to check your bow before putting more rosin on and warm it up first by vigorously sliding it over the strings until it starts to grab. A cold bow won't grab, rosined or not. So maybe you might be able to avoid globs on your bass by putting less globs on the bow?

8. I just have like a thin layer of rosin dust over my whole bass. Every once in awhile I try to whipe it down but it's really hard.

9. Downright_Low

Downright_Low

Feb 25, 2008
    I was just thinking of this question myself as I cleaned my strings off. They sure sound different after they get dirty, and then different again when that's removed.

But I wouldn't want to rub my bass down in alcohol... or water. Maybe some dilute misxture in small amounts could slowly do that job........ No one knows what to do? except for the Petz idea.

http://www.petzkolophonium.com/rosinweb/kolophoniumentferner.htm

10. 0000 steel wool and a light touch will do the trick: rough enough to grab up the rosin but fine enough not to mar your finish. Works good on the strings too. I keep a biscuit of 0000 in a sock (which handles less stubborn wipedown issues) in my gigbag at all times.

JAM

11. Carvale

Carvale

Feb 9, 2008
    Twin Cities
    Hey guys, Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it.
    Michael

12. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Once you've gotten all the rosin off, make it a habit to wipe down your instrument (back of neck & block, strings, fingerboard, shoulders especially and the body) whenever you stop playing during practice or rehearsals. It only takes 5 - 10 seconds.

That way you never have rosin build up, your strings last longer and your thumb always slides the same on the neck. Plus, your instrument is always at it best looking, too.

13. mattgray

mattgray

Nov 16, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    there's stuff you can get (i think) at whole foods market called 'orangeclean' or something like that. it's a citrus-based cleaner which works like a charm against rosin on your bass. world of strings approved!

14. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    LoL. "Should I clean the hardened spatters of rosin off of my bass"....Hmmm...Should I have said no??

15. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Xylene is used in many shops. It takes rosin off without any elbow grease (too much pressure and you may damage your instrument).
    Use xylene outside, it's a carcinogen.

Where can you buy it? -I don't know, I got mine from a friend.

16. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    It works well, but care must be taken not to inhale any fumes. It is dangerous. If at all possible, do this outdoors like the man says.
    Arnold recommended a test rub down around the end pin to assure that it won't harm the finish.

17. QFT

18. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    You can by xylene in any home store or paint store. Sometimes it's called xylol but it's the same chemical. It comes in quart cans for just a few bucks.

Is that a joke about the steel wool? I prefer a belt sander myself. :)

19. Serves you right for using Pops. ;)

0000 steel wool is really gentle. And of course the idea is not to dig in with it--you're just lightly catching the rosin deposits.

JAM

20. Did it ever occur to anybody here that maybe, just maybe, that you're using too much rosin? And, as bejoyous mentioned, that you're not wiping down your instrument ( not to mention your bass ) after each use??
    I heard some old guy, about my age, Gary sumpin'? Car? Carr ? Kar....Whatever......say that maybe, just maybe we use too much rosin on our bows?? Maybe.....