cleaning strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by brianh, Oct 9, 2005.

1. brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Ive been told to use rubbing alcohol to clean strings and finderboards. Does this denature the strings at all? Would effect gut bassed strings like Eudoxa's differently then a steel spirocore?

2. I would imagine - but don't know - that it is not a good idea to use alcohol on gut strings, especially if they were plain. However, you use the word denatured. What do you mean by this? Denatured alcohol, in the UK at least, is alcohol that has been treated so that it is no longer suitable for drinking and thus can be sold without duty (tax). It has nothing to do with it's properties as a solvent or as alcohol. Just don't drink it!

One-look dictionary seems to confirm this usage in the US also: make (alcohol) unfit for drinking without impairing usefulness for other purposes

I use alcohol BTW [but don't have gut strings - superflexibles] - or meths (short for methylated spirit) as we call denatured alcohol over here - it is alomost all alcohol though unlike your rubbing alcohol which I believe has some water in it.