1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cleaning Strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by OPBASSMAN1994, Jan 21, 2012.

1. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Any ideas? I've heard of boiling them, but mine are rotos, which have fabric on both ends, so I don't think that'd be a great idea...

and I need something easy.

2. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Anyone? Anyone?

3. I put them in Denatured Alcohol overnight and they came out sounding great (just don't leave them in there for a long time (like a week) cause they get rusty....be sure to do it in a well ventilated area/with a durable container you don't care about (I used an old metal pail). You might want to leave the endings out of the alcohol if you care about the fabric things.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Why are you going to waste $5 worth of DNA to rejuvenate a set of $20 strings?

5. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have bass brites for quick cleanings but I did build a string cleaning tube a couple of years ago and it works great. I highly recommend this. I rotate in a few pairs of strings and its cut down on how many I have to purchase:

The Bass String Cleaning Tube

6. Well I just had it lying around and stores around here don't carry 5-string packs so...

7. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I have a cleaning tube that is filled with denatured alcohol. I've been using the same quart bottle for three years. Every week I soak my strings overnight. don't worry about the nylon wraps, the alcohol does not hurt them one bit. My strings always sound fresh, and I've cut down my string expense, hundreds of dollars per year. Honestly, the best tip I've ever read here on TB.

8. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Cool. I needed a nice "new string" sound for a gig coming up next saturday, and this should do the trick.

9. The Lemon

The Lemon Banned

Aug 16, 2011
    I just use Fast Fret. It helps a little if the strings are already dead, but I've found the real benefit is in using it occasionally starting when the strings are new.

10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I tried the bassbrite. They dont seem to do anything to me.

11. I dished out a whole 50p on Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes for strings and body. Will they do any harm?

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I use Fast Fret after I play every time and they dramatically increase string life.

13. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
  14. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I boiled my Rotosounds years ago. No problems. Read about it in a Geddy Lee interview.

15. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I've tried boiling, tried alcohol, but the quickest way and the way that gets best results for me is WD-40, especially for steels. It's very simple and doesn't require removing the strings, and if you're going to try it, I highly recommend putting plastic under the strings to protect the fingerboard. After spraying on a good amount, I leave it for 10-15 minutes, then slowly and carefully wipe each individual string down with a chamois using a twisting motion in the direction of the wind, as if your tightening a screw. The idea here is to get any crud that lines the sides of the string. After this, the string will sound like new and it will be lightly lubricated.

16. iabssplyr

iabssplyr

Aug 5, 2009
    Clinton, IA
    Fast Fret or the bottle of Dunlop string cleaner. My flats sound great and wear until I finally decide they've had enough, which usually a year or two.

17. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    2 questions: what is a chamois, and what if you do it in your garage with not wind?

18. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    A chamois is a soft cloth used to buff cars. A guitar cloth would do fine.

Wind or wind? :D Wind as in the wind of the string, not the breeze. :oops:

19. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    I've tried boiling in water, soaking in alchohol, I've even chucked the strings in a drill, slowly turning, while I rode down the spiral winding with steel wool. Nuthin'. Now, to be fair, maybe the strings were too far gone to start with, but I've never had more than moderate success making strings sound "new"...

20. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Ah that makes sense...LOl. my bad. :D I think I'll try that tomorrow.