Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning supply recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    So I'm more or less in charge of the office I work in (scary, huh...) Well we have the typical office kitchenette thing with a coffee pot, a sink and a full size refrigerator - and the fridge has become superfly freakin nasty. It's always been cluttered but so long as I could fit my lunch in my little corner (top shelf back left corner) I didn't care about anybodies month old half bottle of soda...but now it seems maybe a wild animal has found his way in and died of exposure to the cold somewhere in the back and began decomposing? I came back from vacation to discover this rotting death stench - seriously, I'm guessing that one of our day workers brought in some sort of rancid rotting fish to use as some type of bait for fishing after work or something and then later died at home from his exposure to the substance, leaving his nastiness behind in my refrigerator to become my problem. Our janitorial staff only empties the wastepaper baskets and mops the floors. They won't do windows, I'm sure that they will not even consider touching anything inside the refrigerator of death. I'm sure they'd just pull that old "we don't speak English" routine again. (and I wouldn't want to be liable for whatever fate may come to them anyway) My associate here in the office suggested that we duct tape the door shut and have the refrigerator hauled off and thrown away "as is". So it falls on me to deal with this terrible problem. So far I have posted a sign on the door informing others in the office that anything in the refrigerator that they are saving or want to keep (although I can't imagine why they would...) must be removed by Friday afternoon or clearly marked "save" (again, I shudder) or else it will be thrown out at that time. Now, come Friday, I'll have to get myself a big empty trash can, take a deep breath and open up this horrific stench locker and start chucking things in the trash as fast as I can, I'll try to get everything thrown in the trash and get the trash can drug outside before I have to breath again (wish me luck!) ...but then what? I'll need to clean out the inside of the thing. I don't know how I'm going to do this or even what I need. Money is no object, I can purchase whatever I need from petty cash. I'm thinking big rubber gloves up to my elbows, or maybe shoulders - maybe some sort of respirator...some sort of cleaner that sprays on...hopefully a big bottle that sprays lots and lots of something heavily scented... could I set off a Raid fogger or something similar in there to cover the smell and kill whatever may be still living? Anybody have any hazardous materials cleanup experience or any suggestions at all? If so, I'm open to suggestions- thanks.

(edited for spelling)

2. Well, if something died in there, I doubt it would decompose very fast, due to the cold. It probably would be as it just died. Except colder.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Unplug the appliance, yank the door off, and haul out to curb. Bag waste and spoiled food in an appropriate trash bags as per local ordinances and also place at curb.

Or, unplug, and defrost. remove nasty rotted food products and bio hazards and dispose of as per local ordinances. Let appliance come to room temperature. Then use dish soap and clean. Plug back in when done and post a notice saying the following:

ANY FOOD PRODUCTS LEFT IN THE OFFICE REFRIGERATOR AFTER 10 DAYS WILL BE THROWN AWAY!

Felt like using the word: ordinances.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, then what in the heck IS that smell? :confused:

P. Aaron: thanks for the tips on cleaning. I'll try unplugging it and doing a thorough clean. Now, how am I going to enforce this:

Maybe I'll make a rule that you have to put your name and a date on anything left in the refrigerator or it will be thrown away, and then at the end of each day toss anything that doesn't comply. (I'll soon be known as the refrigerator nazi) Damn, you know, this sucks - something has to be done, but I don't really have time to be the refrigerator police - I need to do my job (and post at TB constantly :D )

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Well that's the rub. Enforcement. Is there a receptionist, or other "orderly" type who could handle this endeavor? You're TB post count needs help. Who wants to clean and police a workplace fridge when TalkBass is calling?

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, food goes bad(and decomposes) in the fridge too, bacteria just work way slower because of the temperature.

For future, you could just insist that everyone labels their foodstuffs and put a threat on the door that all rotten food discovered will be fed to it's owner ;)

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Additional suggestion for after the toxic waste dump/superfund site has been cleaned up:

Arm & Hammer Baking Soda

Put a small open container somewhere where it will not be distubed greatly, and it will help absorb any stray stench.

Of course, the refrigerator nazi will still need to be present, but that will take up any slack.

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    "..I am reporting live from North Carolina, where the object known as "Fridge of Death" was finally intercepted after a week of fear and terror throughout the nation. It's not sure where this thing originated, but the first spottings were in Washington state. Several terrorist networks have already claimed the responsibility. This is Gloria Stephanos, CNN." :D

[​IMG]

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Funny stuff tsal, good work...

...but now I must set all laughing and joking about this subject aside for a bit, it's Friday afternoon - the time has come for me to go do this dirty deed. I just checked the refrigerator of death to see if anybody tagged anything "save" No one did. One interesting thing I noticed was 3 cartons of milk - unopened. I checked the expiration date. 12/21. I wonder what year? Another interesting thing - I had used the fridge this week, but only with my stuff double bagged in tied up plastic grocery bags - out of morbid curiosity I smelled the outside grocery bag and sure enough, it had taken on the smell of the fridge. I am glad I had taken that precaution. Oh well, enough stalling. I must go do what I have to do. If I haven't posted again by 5:00 PM PST today - have Paul trace my IP address and contact my IT people and tell them Matt is in trouble, send help...

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Jesus Jones! Day-um! That was ridicules (I'm taking a break from this already, coffee vendor guy is stocking cups and stuff in the kitchen) ...but I've gotten rid of the entire contents of the fridge...canned food? ***? Why would you store canned food in the refrigerator? Why would you abandon your unopened can of corn in the refrigerator? I notice that most of the Tuperware matched - all the same style. (good heavy duty kind too) Who is this guy that brings left overs in good Tuperware and then doesn't eat it and leaves it there for ever? Doesn't his wife give him hell about where does the Tuperware go? People amaze me. Time to get back to it (UUGGHhh) brown puddle stains on all the shelves and drawers (soy sauce?) ...Scotch Brite pads and orange scented Formula 409.... there must be a better way. From here on out I am refrigerator nazi.