Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning the back of the neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jduce, Sep 5, 2005.

1. jduce

jduce

Aug 8, 2005
    Flint, Michigan
    Hello... I have a Fender Jazz (MIM) that I want to take care of from the start. I just bought it last week. I already use the GHS for the strings and fingerboard.

Question is... what should I clean the back of the neck with? Right now I'm using alcohol.

Any suggestions?

BTW I did do a search but could only seem to find cleaning and care for the fingerboard.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wouldn't use alcohol on a finished neck. It can turn it cloudy. Just wipe it down with a clean cloth and maybe some furniture polish and it should be fine.

3. jduce

jduce

Aug 8, 2005
    Flint, Michigan
    I've read non-wax oil correct? Or lemon oil?

Can someone recommend some brands of polish or where to buy lemon oil?

Thanks.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I wouldn't use any kind of oil on a finished neck, either. But a non-wax furniture polish like Endust should be just fine. And you can get lemon oil at any hardware store, but don't use it on a finished neck.

5. Oils (such as tung or lemon) are employed on a non-finished neck or body. Finished wood can be cleaned using a turniture polish, or even with a guitar-cleaning product (Dunlop makes one that works pretty well).

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Most likely, your bass has a poly finish on the back of the neck...which means its coated in plastic.

Furniture polish will do next to nothing to clean or 'condition' it. Wipe it down well after you play, and if it gets really gunky a wipedown with a damp cloth with very mild soapy water will do the trick.

7. I use Windex. Windex can do anything!

8. jduce

jduce

Aug 8, 2005
    Flint, Michigan
    Awesome... thanks guys!

9. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA

are you sure? won't windex eat away at the finish? Your not supposed to use windex in your car because it will eat the rubber trim.. won't it do the same to the finish on the bass?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Are you the father from My Big Fat Greek Wedding?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    What do you have on your hands that furniture polish won't take off? I've used it for years and it's always removed oils from my hands and fingerprint smudges. Plus it leaves it with a nice slick feeling.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Ok, maybe my phrasing was bad...BUT regular furniture polish is pretty bad for instruments. It can dry out wood and it also can leave a wax buildup that you don't want on your bass' neck. That's that slick feeling you're being left with. Its unneccesary...most necks can be cleaned very easily without furniture polish. Have you ever heard a luthier or bass manufacturer suggest using furniture polish?

13. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    My setup/repair guy recommends Formby's Lemon Oil. It contains no wax.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Usually they recommend a non-wax polish like Endust. Which is why I mentioned Endust by name early on in this thread ;)

15. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Don't use alcohol unless you want to sterilize it. Ammonia (windex) will probably cloud the finish & could make it soft & sticky. Just wipe the neck off w/dry towel. Putting oil on a poly neck will make it sticky