Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning the funk off your neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by groveofbass, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Theres this nasty funk on the finger board in the shape of where my fingers are when i fret notes. ive seen this on many, many guiatrs/basses. how do i clean this stuff up and make my neck look sexy again?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lemon oil works, as does (pre boiled) linseed oil.

3. i thought it was boiled linseed oil? But i second the lemon oil. its like less than 2 bucks a guitar store...

4. arcobigj

arcobigj

Sep 14, 2004
    Easley, SC
    using a radius gauge 'lightly' scaping the neck works well, then lemon oil.
    abj

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I just totally overhauled my ESP with the Gibson Vintage Restoration kit, and wish I had thought to try it sooner. The kit contains metal cleaner, finish polish, fretboard cleaner/conditioner and two polish cloths. (I don't work for Gibson.) The fretboard sauce is lemon oil based and took off three years accumulation in about thirty seconds. This was the first time I ever cleaned any instrument and it took about thirty minutes. The result was the best play I ever got out of my bass and it looks brand new again. Don't wait any longer....wash your (b)ass!

6. bassman_17

bassman_17

Feb 2, 2005
    Just use an old toothbrush 2 brush of the residue, and putting a bit of warm water on the toothbrush helps if some of the stuff wont come of easily.
    Then rub lemon oil into the neck and let it dry for a while.
    Shat should solve your problem. :bassist:

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Keep that funk alive!

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I forgot to ask what your fretboard is made of. If it is rosewood, any of the above suggestions should work. If it is maple, I would suggest a clean, damp cloth and lots of elbow grease. I've heard that lemon oil and fretboard cleaning solutions can strip the finish off of maple boards. Sorry I didn't ask sooner.

9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Naptha works for me.

10. is it ok to take of all the strings when cleaning the fingerboard?

thanks

alexx

11. I'd advise it, otherwise you're getting that crap all over your strings. Besides, it'll be worlds easier.

12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    This is exactly how punk started, it's a shame :ninja:

:bag:

13. ...but isn't it somehow bad for the neck? or is that only if it's for a long period of time?

thanks

alexx

14. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    For guitars(lead), it's OK to take them all off, just not all at once. This may be the case for basses as well.

15. you can take all the strings off at once
    its not goign to hurt a damned thing for the 20 minute max it takes to clean the board up polish teh frets and re string...

16. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I assume a soft-bristle toothbrush is preferable to, say, a medium bristle toothbrush?

17. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i had a buddy give me a bass that had mojo all over the fretboard and i used some naptha and a toothbrush to get it off and then i conditioned it with boiled linseed oil as i do with all of my rosewood and pauo ferro fretboards. the bristle of the toothbrush shouldnt matter too much...something strong enough to be able to get into the grain and lift the junk out of it.