1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaning Tips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zako, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Zako

Zako

May 9, 2007
    Waterloo, IA
    Hi kinda new to the forums / havnt been in a while but oh well :)

Im not very consistant about cleaning my bass(s) which is probably not a very good thing. My Ibanez 5 string BTB series(which just got discontinued i think, they dont make the exact model i have that i can find) Has a some bad sweat stains on it from my fingers right above the neck pickup, but since the guitar is just wood stained, non gloss, how would be the best way to try and get rid of the stain? It makes my Bass look glossy in that little patch but it isnt :(

any help appreciated.

thanks.

2. Zako

Zako

May 9, 2007
    Waterloo, IA
    Anyone??

(bump)

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I could be wrong but that doesn't sound like a stain. A lot of satin finishes can be buffed into a gloss finish over time by your fingers. To get it back to satin you would have to use an abrasive like extremely fine steel wool (0000 grade) or something. Keep in mind you should not use steel wool on an instrument with the pickups installed.

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Another tip it to use a paint brush on cleaning the bridge.

Dan K.