1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaning tips?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by azfryguy, Mar 12, 2010.

1. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    So I would greatly appreciate any help or advice for cleaning my guitars here is what I do. If I am doing anything wrong please tell me now haha

I do this to my bass twice a year one in summer once in winter

-Take old string off throw them away

-Wipe everything of with a cloth (just to get all the dust off)

-Take the neck and tuners and knobs off

-Take the bridge off then take it apart and clean it with a cloth of some sort after that i put it back together

-clean the frets using 0000 steel wool I heard it removes tiny scratches and i tape of the fretboad so i dont scratch the rosewood

-I clean the frets with dunlop fret cleaning cloth after the steel wool I cant remember exactly what it is called but it works wonders

-then wipe all the bits of steel wool off

-put some kinda fabric underneath the pickup so i can raise it as high as i want

-Now i use the dunlop 65 cleaning kit to clean everything

-I even clean and wax the back of the neck and headstock because it has a finish

-put everything back together put new strings on and give it a brand new setup

I just want to make sure I am not doing anything will ruin my bass

Thanks guys I was going to post this in the bass section but I think it would be better to post it here

2. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    I also apply ghs nut lube to the nut and saddles but i do it when string are all tuned up then loosen them then i put it on

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Please recycle; they are made of metal -Take old string off throw them away

Weak acetic acid solution (1-3%) will cut through any grime
    -Wipe everything of with a cloth (just to get all the dust off)

I use a Q-tip and pipe cleaners to go around the hardware
    -Take the neck and tuners and knobs off

See above -Take the bridge off then take it apart and clean it with a cloth of some sort after that i put it back together

Yep-clean the frets using 0000 steel wool I heard it removes tiny scratches and i tape of the fretboad so i dont scratch the rosewood

Naval Jelly is mush cheaper -I clean the frets with dunlop fret cleaning cloth after the steel wool I cant remember exactly what it is called but it works wonders

Alcohol wipes work best-then wipe all the bits of steel wool off

-put some kinda fabric underneath the pickup so i can raise it as high as i want

-Now i use the dunlop 65 cleaning kit to clean everything

-I even clean and wax the back of the neck and headstock because it has a finish

-put everything back together put new strings on and give it a brand new setup

Some extra steps there but you are on the right track.

4. Bassisgreat

Bassisgreat

Feb 23, 2008
    Dallas, Tx
    Wow dude. That's hardcore maintenance. Good jorb, bro. I do something a little less comprehensive about once a year and I thought I was doing good... ;)

5. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    we dont have reycycle in queen creek az but what do you mean by Weak acetic acid solution (1-3%)

and thanks!

6. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Vinegar from the store shelf is 3-5% acetic acid solution. Cut that in half with water and use a lint free rag to clean any grimy surfaces.

7. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    thanks for now ill finish up the kit but after that ill try it

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020