Cleaning wedge fretboard with flame maple inlays

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Samuel Newsom, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Samuel Newsom

Samuel Newsom

Mar 5, 2018
    A2D9D38A-5E51-4D94-AAF7-2BDC9AB32723.jpeg 86A66CC9-870D-4946-BF43-A738E159F544.jpeg B9EC0D9A-2B3B-4671-81A7-CC4BB3029E7E.jpeg i picked up a used warrior signature 5 today. It has a wedge fretboard with flame maple block inlays. Looks gorgeous, but definitely needs to be cleaned. I’ve done some research with wire wheels and toothbrushes but is there any way I can clean this fretboard without ruining the inlays?

Attached Files:

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I save old soft bristle electric toothbrush heads (thoroughly cleaned of course) for jobs like that. But no experience with those woods - wouldn't go near it with a wire wheel, yikes! (Very nice looking, btw.)

96tbird likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I use 0000 steel wool to clean wenge. I don't know about wedge though. As far as the inlays go, I would tape them off if you are worried (and if they are clean). Plastic inlays will get scuffed up by the wool.

Nice looking bass, by the way.

EpicSoundtracks likes this.
  4. Samuel Newsom

Samuel Newsom

Mar 5, 2018
    I’m afraid the steel wool will scratch the maple inlays though. And yes I meant wenge not wedge lol. I read about naphtha and a toothbrush but I was curious about if anyone had any experience before I just go dumping chemicals on the fretboard

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Naptha wont hurt it.

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

How extensive of a cleaning does it need? If you don't need to clean serious grime off, a good wipe down with some naptha will be good enough. 0000 steel wool won't harm maple but it would dull a polished finish. You can get finer grits than 0000 wool in the form of 3M pads as well.

7. Samuel Newsom

Samuel Newsom

Mar 5, 2018
    This is what I’m working with so you can see. Some areas look much shinier than others.

Attached Files:

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021