1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cleaning your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by refuge4, Oct 22, 2009.

1. refuge4

refuge4

Jan 23, 2009
    Houston, TX, USA
    i have a few fender basses, all later models (later than 2000) and they are all completely gloss covered. i know there is 'guitar/bass cleaner' but is it really worth it? i mean, they're all covered in poly (no highway ones here) and it's fairly thick from my understanding. so is it really going to make a difference if i wipe my bass down with something not specifically meant for that? if no why and if yes what do you use. thanks guys.

2. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    A micro fiber cloth works well to wipe down after you play.
    (I get mine from Sams for $12 for a pack of 25.)
    Any car wax/polish will help keep it shiny.
    I use the often recommended Scratch-X & Zymol.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dunlop 65.

4. refuge4

refuge4

Jan 23, 2009
    Houston, TX, USA
    cool. good to know. thanks for the feedback. anyone else?

5. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    You don't need any special cleaners. Just use a lightly dampened soft cloth, if they are really dirty, then wipe them dry with another soft cloth. Keep some clean flannel cloth to wipe them down, after you play, to avoid any buildup.

6. refuge4

refuge4

Jan 23, 2009
    Houston, TX, USA
    yea, i've been playing a lot of sweaty gigs lately and it's really starting to show on my black basses. i just didn't want to do anything stupid for a quick fix.

7. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    +1

Also, it has carnuba wax in it, so you can give it solid wipedown a few times before you need to use it to clean again.

8. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    +1

For shine, I've never had any "bass/guitar product" that gives anything even close to the same shine that a good car polish does. I think the idea behind that is most good car polishes fill & smooth tiny micro-scratches in the clear poly finish, leaving a very noticeable & great looking shine. I've used Meguiars Showroom & EagleOne Nanowax w/MicroFiber cleaning cloths, but any quality car polish should yield good shine results. For simple smudge removal, I've used Dunlop65 & some Planet Waves stuff.

9. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    Flaxseed oil for the fingerboard. Cheap and very efficient: put the oil, then 5 minutes after clean excedent with a soft clothe.

10. refuge4

refuge4

Jan 23, 2009
    Houston, TX, USA
    yea, i use linseed oil on my rosewood guitar necks. i'll have to try the car polish, you know how black basses show every little thing.

11. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004

Highly recommended for polishing without using anything but the micro fiber cloth after you play. I use the Microfiber cloths for cleaning my eye glasses too.
    I have used Zymol, Scratch-X, and Virtuoso.
    My favorite is Virtuoso.
    Guitar Center sells it as well as some others.

12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Micro Fiber cloth for the body is great. Also, you can use a clean cloth baby diaper. No lint and very good for cleaning gloss finish basses. For the fretboard, I use 0000 steel wool for cleaning part 1. Wipe it down very well. I do not use any of the typical oils, I use trombone oil. A small drop on each fret (rosewood fretboards only). I bought my bottle about 15+ years ago and still have 1/2 of it left. Work it in with your finger and let it sit a minute or 2. Use that baby diaper to clean the excess off and you are good to go..

13. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Turtle Wax.

14. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY
  15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Virtuoso cleaner and Virtuoso polish. Made for ALL guitars and stringed instruments.

Easy to find online.

The CLEANER is exactly what you need - no silicone, no abrasives, but it will take off grunge and old cig smoke.

16. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Avoid anything that has silicone in it.

17. BlackFenderBass

BlackFenderBass

Aug 9, 2009
    I use some Martin acoustic guitar polish. Works good. Cleans it.

18. Laklandlover

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY
    While we are on the subject of cleaning. I don't have a clues as to what to use on a maple fingerboard. Help :help:

19. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Same stuff you'd use on the painted body

20. Laklandlover

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY
    Dude Really!