1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cleaning Your Guitar After A Sweaty Night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dave44, Aug 22, 2002.

1. I know it's kind of a lame subject but I've been told that windex is a good idea for cleaning your laquered finish on a new guitar. Is this person correct with the info, or slowly killing his guitar with Windex?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't consider it a "lame"subject, Dave. I think you're smart to ask about it. Dousing your bass in sweat is a fact of life playing outdoors in the US Midwest.

Over the years, I've heard two different things from a couple of luthiers about the Windex/glass cleaner I used to use -

1. It's a decent cleaner but will dry up your wood in no time IF you don't follow up with a dry, soft, cotton, cloth (in other words - a good instrument polishing cloth to remove any residue).

2. Since Windex/glass cleaner has no lubricating qualities, dust and dirt trapped between your cleaning cloth and surface, It acts over time like an ultra-fine sandpaper/steel wool leaving super-fine scratches in the finish. In time, this can appear as a light haze that eventually worsens.

I even asked Dan Lakin about the acceptability of using once-a-year car polish on my Lakland Skyline and he still advised me to use a good guitar polish/gloss.

Using large, thick, weightlifter sweatbands on my wrists helps a lot, like these -
    [​IMG]