Cleaning Your Guitar After A Sweaty Night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dave44, Aug 22, 2002.

1. I know it's kind of a lame subject but I've been told that windex is a good idea for cleaning your laquered finish on a new guitar. Is this person correct with the info, or slowly killing his guitar with Windex?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't consider it a "lame"subject, Dave. I think you're smart to ask about it. Dousing your bass in sweat is a fact of life playing outdoors in the US Midwest.

Over the years, I've heard two different things from a couple of luthiers about the Windex/glass cleaner I used to use -

1. It's a decent cleaner but will dry up your wood in no time IF you don't follow up with a dry, soft, cotton, cloth (in other words - a good instrument polishing cloth to remove any residue).

2. Since Windex/glass cleaner has no lubricating qualities, dust and dirt trapped between your cleaning cloth and surface, It acts over time like an ultra-fine sandpaper/steel wool leaving super-fine scratches in the finish. In time, this can appear as a light haze that eventually worsens.

I even asked Dan Lakin about the acceptability of using once-a-year car polish on my Lakland Skyline and he still advised me to use a good guitar polish/gloss.

Using large, thick, weightlifter sweatbands on my wrists helps a lot, like these -