Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Oliver Fisher, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Oliver Fisher

Oliver Fisher

Apr 9, 2001
    London
    I recently bought a Washburn AB20 second hand. I got a good price and its in good condition. But its filthy!!!!!!!!!

Its not a problem to clean the body, a bit of wax furniture polish takes care of that. But the fret board is covered in grime. You know that kinda stuff you get on the side of your mouse if you dont clean it for a month.

Ive tried using the polish but it wont get rid of it. I can scrape this stuff away with my fingernail and I reckon a toothbrush will shift it, but im sure that would damage the wood underneath.
    Ive seen special polish for cleaning strings availiable, would this be helpfull? Is there anyway of getting this sort of dirt off without getting my guitar professionally cleaned?

thanx for any input.

Ollie

2. Ok, if you want to go all out. There is a place here in Adelaide that sets up guitars. For about $50 bucks they do the whole works, restring, set the actions and bridge. Then they brush up the frets and fret board. It may be beneficial to pay a professional to do a really good job, and if they bugger it up, then its on their head.

If you want to do it yourself, some people have suggested to me to use Lemon Oil to treat the fretboard with when i change the strings (although i haven't done that as such. :)). If you get some lemon oil i guess it couldn't hurt to apply it with a toothbrush and a soft motion on it.

Merls

Oh BTW welcome to TB and happy Posting. Just don't mention the following: Religion, Napster, Fieldy or KoRn. lololololol