1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Cleansing toxins from the body"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Nope. All BS.

37 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. Absolutely. See my post for advice.

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Just eat lots of carrots and fuhgetuhbowdit.

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Cleansing toxins wouldn't even begin to cure you, twofer.

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. Just gargle with diesel fuel three times a day.

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I put it in quotes because I have no idea if there is an effective way to do it.

I have read articles in Mens Health about combinations of foods (mostly exotic fruits). I have seen/heard commercials for everything from teas to powders you put in foods to pills that help your liver do it. I have read that exercise and sweating does it. They even sell pads to put on the bottoms of your feet while you sleep that supposedly "absorb toxins" from your system and turn black overnight. My wife gets three days of juices in every few months and that's all she consumes for those days. Supposedly that's one of the reasons she does it.

We have experts here for everything else, so why not this? If it is possible, how does one do it? Have you successfully done it, and if so how do you know?

Is it really possible? Just pop science? Snake oil?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Mostly snake oil. The pads that you attach to the soles of your feet to "soak up toxins" certainly are. Exercise and sweating are just generally good for you otherwise, but supplements, crazy exotic fruits, and so on are mostly nonsense, wishful thinking, and the placebo effect.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The only things that cleanse your body of toxins are your liver and kidneys

4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Anything to the claims of supplements like Liverite and whatnot that supposedly help your liver?

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep, snake oil. Anything that DOES accumulate in your body, like arsenic or tar on your lungs, isn't going to be "cleansed" out by drinking juice or anything else. Most bad stuff that you put in your body, like fatty foods or excessive sodium or whatever, doesn't stay there waiting to be cleansed - it does its damage and then gets eliminated. Alcohol, for instance, kills brain cells. You can stop drinking and thus stop killing your brain cells, but there's no alcohol "toxin" lingering around to be "cleansed" out by some purge.

two fingers likes this.
  6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    drink plenty of water and take a dump at least once a day..........that's a good start

SunnBass, MattZilla, PillO and 11 others like this.
  7. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I hear leeches are good for that. :laugh:

8. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

That sounds like a pretty good plan.

9. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    or go to the barber for a good blood letting:D

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I tend to think cleanses are BS, though many people swear by them. I believe it's best to eat real food, and drink lots of water. But if a cleanse of any sort makes someone feel better, even if it's a placebo effect, then there's no denying it worked. Snake oil heals, because the mind heals.

11. Eh, it probably helps your liver as much as carrots help your eyesight. That is ... they contain vitamins that promote healthy eyes, but I'm still going to need to wear glasses no matter how many I eat.

I'm guessing the bottle has this disclaimer:

"These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease"

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's useless ... but (IMO) as with most supplements, you're probably just going to pee the majority of it out.

hrodbert696 and two fingers like this.
  12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd agree, in that a lot of the changes that people make in the name of "cleansing" are healthy changes to make anyway. The problem is that I've known people who will do these things periodically and think it did them good, when they go right back to the same bad habits after their "purge." For instance, a couple who would take one month out of the year to abstain from tobacco, alcohol and caffeine. OK, well, that's great and they felt better. But when the month was over and they had "cleansed" their system of all the "toxins" from those things, they went right back to smoking, drinking and coffee same as they had been doing before. Believing in the "cleansing" they did over that month probably actually prevented their making any lasting improvements.

two fingers likes this.
  13. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This is what my initial thoughts on the subject were. That's why I put the title in quotes.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts so far.

hrodbert696 and MJ5150 like this.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm with you bro. I've wanted to try these over the years. I know people who do it and swear it is a life changer.
    I don't eat much processed food, instead following along what @Joe Nerve said about eating whole foods and lots of water.
    While I'd love to jump on one of these cleanses, I just don't see it doing all that much for me really.

-Mike

two fingers likes this.
  15. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Real food tastes better than processed pap anyway. Same with water tasting better than soda pop or stuff like that. At least to me. Go figure. We even eat plenty of beans. Get a little exercise on a regular basis and that keeps a purge rolling right along on schedule. No need for extra measures.

two fingers likes this.
  16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Fasting has been used to serve the same purpose for a very very long time.

17. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    I agree with ^. Diet (food you consume) has a lot to do with it. Staying hydrated, eating fruits and vegetables (sweet potatoes, raw veggies, etc.), nuts, oatmeal, fish etc. Nuts are important in your diet. Not having a high sodium intake is key, but if you do use salt, use sea salt (the difference being sea salt has minerals that they strip out of regular table salt in order to add iodine...and other anti-caking elements). Cutting way back on the fatty meats will help. Most importantly, exercise.

If you eat healthy and not exercise, you'll only get so far. If you exercise but don't eat healthy, you'll only go so far. Combining the two, you'll go far. Rest is also VERY important. Cut off eating and drinking at least 4 hours before you go to bed so you can get a full 8 hours sleep in.

I've been a Spin/Cycling Instructor for 15 years. Like a lot of folks, I go off the wagon every now and then. Sometimes I can't resist a 14 pound Rib-eye steak smathered with garlic butter and with a yeast roll on the side, washed down with a bourbon (or two), and big hunk of carrot cake dripping with warm melting icing for desert. But I know what I'm doing and can get back on the wagon... And I have to, every now and then eat like a man, it's my nature. :woot:...

...but if you can do a little at a time, it'll work in your favor and you'll want to continue.

Sorry if it seems I'm ranting, but staying healthy is very important to me and I want to see folks live a long healthy life.
    :hyper:
    ^ Jumping jacks

two fingers and Luke19Boarder like this.
  18. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The only thing these "toxin cleansers" are cleaning out is the wallets of those who fall for it.

squarepeg, Munjibunga, Marikk and 5 others like this.
  19. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I like working up good sweat, I have heard it cleans out toxins but even if it doesn't I feel good afterwards.

20. As with all of the 'near miracle' supplements, here's the required Weasel disclaimer way at the bottom of the page -

"*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.'

Simply meaning don't hold us to any of our claims. We can say anything and we're not responsible when it doesn't perform as hyped.

Marikk likes this.